- 12:18:31, Jul 22nd 2016 - SV85 - @left luvr I am amazed at your seeming inability (or refusal) to distinguis ... [Read More]
- 9:40:07, Jul 21st 2016 - left luvr - @sv85 Susan Coleman, Danny Cassoloro, John Wilson, Gandy Baugh, Calvin Wa ... [Read More]
- 7:38:38, Jul 21st 2016 - Herb - Jason, I feel your pain and disgust. I do this on a regular basis on a highwa ... [Read More]
- 7:26:36, Jul 21st 2016 - SV85 - @left luvr I can't tell you how disppointed I am in your response. In your f ... [Read More]
- 4:06:21, Jul 21st 2016 - left luvr - @sv85 Thank you for you response. I do use email at work that contains se ... [Read More]
- 3:50:03, Jul 21st 2016 - SV85 - @ Seriously This is only a guess, but I'm assuming Mr. Panko would say "yes" ... [Read More]
- 3:48:22, Jul 21st 2016 - SV85 - @ Seriously This is only a guess, but I'm assuming Mr. Panko would say "yes" ... [Read More]
- 3:34:34, Jul 21st 2016 - VikeFan1 - @Wentworth As usual your post contains only babble with no facts and no p ... [Read More]
- 3:19:02, Jul 21st 2016 - SV85 - @leftluvr and former left winger Before you weigh in on commentaries like th ... [Read More]
- 3:12:00, Jul 21st 2016 - seriously? - @herb, If you are correct and unbiased that would mean if Condoleezza Ri ... [Read More]
Posted in Government
Newly elected officials took the oath of office from Judge Robert Benson at the courthouse on Tuesday, January 2. Pictured above, left to right: Treasurer/Auditor Shirl Boelter, County Attorney Brett Corson, County Recorder Dave Kiehne, Judge Robert Benson, Commissioner Second District Randy Dahl, Commissioner Fourth District Duane Bakke, and Fillmore County Sheriff Daryl Jensen. Photo by John Torgrimson
Commissioner Marc Prestby was unanimously elected by the board to be the chairman of the board for 2007. Randy Dahl was elected to serve as vice-chairman. Other than changes in the chairmanship, the board members are the same as the past couple of years. Prestby thanked the outgoing chairman Duane Bakke for his leadership over the past year.
Most of the rest of the meeting was delegated to routine housekeeping items. The per diem rate was left at $40. The 2007 mileage reimbursement rate for use of a private vehicle for county business was set at $.485 per mile which is the federal IRS rate.
Salaries were set for the new auditor/treasurer and county recorder. Other department head salaries were set last year. These two newly elected officials salaries could not be set until after they were officially sworn in. Auditor/treasurer Shirl Boelter's salary was set at $54,000 which is slightly over 85% of the outgoing auditor/treasurer's salary for 2006. The board must set the salaries at 85% or more taking into account the individual's expertise coming into the new position. Commissioners Randy Dahl and Chuck Amunrud voted against. Dahl insisted that the salary was being set too low.
County recorder David Kiehne's salary was set at $44,000. In his past position in the assessor's office combined with his temporary position working in the recorder's office, he was earning $42,500 plus $500 per month for the extra responsibility in the recorder's office. Dahl voted against again saying the salary was being set too low.
Jack O'Donnell was appointed chief deputy sheriff and his salary was set at $62,263.93 as recommended by Sheriff Jensen.
A resolution was passed authorizing Public Health Nurse Director Sharon Serfling to apply for a Community Clinic grant from the state of Minnesota. The grant would be for $45,000 and would be used in the Amish community for well baby visits, immunizations, and testing for genetic abnormalities. If the grant money becomes available, newborns would also receive hearing tests.
The Mabel-Canton Trailbusters snowmobile permit was renewed as recommended by the DNR.
Committee, board, commission, and task force assignments for 2007 were approved. Chuck Amunrud suggested that it is important for them as commissioners to be good listeners at committee meetings as well as offering some guidance. He stated that it was not their job to create policy.
Low quotes were accepted from area newspapers. The Republican Leader will serve as the official newspaper for the board. The Fillmore County Journal will print the first financial statement and additional notices. The Chatfield News will print the second financial statement. The Spring Valley Tribune will print the Delinquent Tax List.