"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Online Edition
Tuesday, December 6th, 2016
Volume ∞ Issue ∞

USDA provides assistance for recent high temperature livestock losses

Fri, Jul 22nd, 2011
Posted in Agriculture

SAINT PAUL, MINN., July 20, 2011 - Livestock producers who incur eligible livestock death losses due to the recent extreme temperatures and other adverse weather events may be eligible for the USDA Farm Service Agency's (FSA) Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP).

"Producers who suffered eligible livestock losses due to adverse weather will be required to provide documentation of the livestock lost and documentation of losses due to normal mortality for the calendar year," said Linda Hennen, State Executive Director. "FSA staff can provide producers with a list of acceptable loss documentation that includes proof of death, producer records and verifiable inventory documentation."

For livestock losses that occur in calendar year 2011, producers will have until, the earlier of, 30 days after the livestock loss become apparent to file a notice of loss to FSA, or no later than October 31, 2011. In addition, producers will have until January 30, 2012, to apply for payment.

Adequate documentation must prove the death of eligible livestock occurred as a direct result of an eligible adverse weather event in the calendar year for which benefits are being requested. If adequate verifiable proof of death records documentation is not available, a livestock producer may provide reliable records, along with verifiable beginning and ending inventory, as proof of death.

Certifications of livestock deaths by third parties, who are not affiliated with the farming operation, may be accepted only if verifiable proof of death records or reliable proof of death records is not available. Verifiable beginning and ending inventory records are also required with such third party certifications.

LIP indemnity payments for livestock owners are based on 75 percent of the fair market value of the livestock and contract growers can be compensated at 75 percent of the average income loss sustained, as determined by FSA.

Producers need to contact their local FSA County Offices to sign up for LIP. Producers can also learn more about LIP by visiting www.fsa.usda.gov.

No Comments Yet. Be the first to comment!

Your comment submission is also an acknowledgement that this information may be reprinted in other formats such as the newspaper.