"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Monday, July 28th, 2014
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 7:50:52, Jul 28th 2014 - KingslandGrad95 - @wow-so you're willing to spend more on gas money to buy in Iowa wh ... [Read More]
- 11:01:18, Jul 27th 2014 - Eagle - Dear Mr. Bear, I thought to address a few of the issues you bring up. ... [Read More]
- 10:05:23, Jul 27th 2014 - - Exciting. .and welcome to SE Minnesota. Good Luck with your new venture. ... [Read More]
- 1:39:15, Jul 27th 2014 - yes - Spanish books would be GREAT! They don't have any books now at FC and if your c ... [Read More]
- 1:30:09, Jul 27th 2014 - wow - Living on the Iowa border I will do all my shopping in Iowa if they do that! ... [Read More]
- 1:27:17, Jul 27th 2014 - in harmony - Hum...no tickets issued? Thats something I've never heard before. My X g ... [Read More]
- 3:01:39, Jul 22nd 2014 - Don K. - My medical premium will go up significantly next year under Obama care. Thi ... [Read More]
- 8:44:09, Jul 20th 2014 - @ new resident - Wykoff has a summer softball league for youths ages 5-18 and they ha ... [Read More]
- 11:28:08, Jul 18th 2014 - Go kaase! - Tom I hope you get elected as sheriff! Although you have worked in roche ... [Read More]
- 3:14:00, Jul 18th 2014 - SV citizen - I have concern that there would be a conflict of interest with Kaase bei ... [Read More]
Fri, Jan 30th, 2009
Posted in Commentary
Posted in Commentary
As my wife, Amanda Sethre, and I embark upon the adventure of publishing a weekly newspaper in this beautiful area of Southeast Minnesota, we would first like to thank you for being so welcoming.
The people and scenery of Fillmore County are unmatched, and I mean that with the greatest sincerity. This is the perfect place to raise a family, and I know I'm speaking to the choir on this one.
My father, Terry Sethre, grew up in this area, and I remember spending time in Preston with my grandparents - who lived in a home once located where the Preston Fire Department currently resides. To me, this area holds a lot of special memories, and my wife and I are looking forward to creating new ones of our own with our children.
After living and working in Illinois, Indiana and Wisconsin for the past decade, being close to family and friends in Southeast Minnesota is something we definitely won't take for granted. We used to burn up all of our vacation days and an abundance of "regular unleaded" spending seven to ten hours on the road to visit with nephews, nieces, aunts, uncles, parents and grandparents, sprinkled in Cannon Falls, Dover, Elgin, Eyota, Lanesboro, Rochester and beyond.
It can be quite a conundrum, balancing personal and professional goals. Family has always been important to us, but never more important than in 2004. That's when we started having children and the pendulum started swinging in the other direction.
As an experienced publisher of daily newspapers, magazines, weekly newspapers, shoppers, niche publications and online initiatives, I felt like I wanted to spread my wings and actually purchase a newspaper preferably in Southeast Minnesota - with hopes of merging our personal and professional objectives. I began the search and did find a newspaper that intrigued me, but it just didn't feel right at that time.
Waiting, watching and researching since 2004, I eventually discovered the Fillmore County Journal.
I had heard good things about this newspaper from people in Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin who had family connections in the Fillmore County area, and that's when my wife and I decided to approach John and Pat Torgrimson. Since that first encounter, we've been hooked, working in tandem to prepare for a smooth transition. John and Pat have created a well-branded county newspaper with a talented and customer-oriented team of employees, and we are excited about continuing with that synergy.
Words cannot express how much we would like to extend our thanks to John and Pat Torgrimson for entrusting us with the opportunity to connect readers and businesses with such a community-focused newspaper they have cared for like a newborn. As I have made my way around the area, visiting with local residents, public officials and business leaders of the area, I can see that John and Pat are held in high regard. My wife and I look forward to living up to that tradition.