"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Sunday, September 25th, 2016
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 10:33:12, Sep 23rd 2016 - Hum - Heard a rummer that the kids r saying," if we park in the school parking lot ... [Read More]
- 2:32:54, Sep 20th 2016 - Kim Wentworth - at the group here- God gave us a brain, intelligence, communication, ... [Read More]
- 11:05:14, Sep 20th 2016 - DRousse - It's not FLUSHABLE wipes that cause the problem; they are too weak. It is ... [Read More]
- 4:49:27, Sep 19th 2016 - Aaron Bishop - Thank you for your comment and feedback, On-Point. ... [Read More]
- 4:24:53, Sep 18th 2016 - Disappointed - You only post certain people's posts! ... [Read More]
- 11:38:18, Sep 16th 2016 - millerml - These days when you go to a reunion nobody cares about what you look, the ... [Read More]
- 7:51:04, Sep 15th 2016 - email@example.com - Congratulations Roy! Can't be said that you don't stick t ... [Read More]
- 5:40:26, Sep 15th 2016 - Livin' the dream - Oh no, mary-wonnie! It's the assassin of yout'. ... [Read More]
- 10:26:43, Sep 14th 2016 - On-Point - Precisely how I feel. Differing lifestyles, views, religions, etc. are wh ... [Read More]
- 10:13:20, Sep 14th 2016 - wrong - There is so much wrong with this letter, I don't even know where to begin. ... [Read More]
Fri, Jan 30th, 2009
Posted in Education
Posted in Education
John Nitecki will continue for a fourth year as chairman of the Rushford-Peterson school board, but says it will be his last consecutive year as he believes the position should rotate more regularly. Board member Daniel Munson nominated Nitecki for another year's term at the January 26 meeting.
"I think it builds strength to rotate," Nitecki said. He suggested a two-year rotation and didn't rule out the possibility of serving as chair sometime again in the future.
Other officers elected at the board's organizational meeting are as follows: Vice Chairman-Greg Smith, Treasurer-Roger Metz, Clerk-Daniel Munson. The board voted to stay with its current reimbursement: $600 per year, plus an added $100 stipend for the chair and an added $50 for each officer.
As is typical, the board spent a great share of its meeting hearing administrator reports and "good news" about student achievements, including:
Seniors Kaylee Helgemoe and Tony Becker were chosen to represent the school in the Triple A competition for students who have excelled in academics, the arts, and athletics; Becker was also chosen, along with Yvonne Freese of Lanesboro, as one of the two winners in Sub-Section One.
Knowledge Bowl team (R-P 1) of 9th graders (Katie, Freddy, Annie, Lindsey, Austin and Chris) won 1st place at the sub-regional competition and will advance to the regional event January 29. An 8th grade Knowledge Bowl team (Kylie, Katie, Steve, Megan and Shane) took 4th place and will also advance.
The one-act play "The Veldt", directed by Forrest Musselman took 1st place in sub-sections and will advance to sectionals Jan. 31 at St. Mary's University.
In addition to all the good news, the board also heard that the roofing project with FEMA mitigation funds has been delayed due to weather, but should get back on track Feb. 9. Bids will soon be accepted for another FEMA-funded project to re-route roof and surface water to the storm sewer and pave the parking lot.
Last year the board authorized $16,000 to repair the second boiler to have as a back-up. And as luck would have it, boiler #1 is now leaking so the second boiler is being used exclusively, according to superintendent Chuck Ehler. Early estimates set the price at repairing boiler #1 at $25,000-30,000. Ehler recommended no repairs be done at present and that boiler #1 would only be used in an emergency.
The board accepted the resignation of Leah Dessner as 7th and 8th grade softball coach, and they approved hiring Mitch and Davin Thompson as co-head football coaches. In addition, Elizabeth Boehmke was hired as ECFE teacher, and Kathy Dahl was hired for ECFE parent educator.
The board approved a 3-year contract with Ace for broadband (Internet) service at a rate of $4,845 per year.
Representatives Sharon Ropes and Greg Davids have been invited to a special working session of the R-P school board to be held Saturday, Feb. 21, tentative starting time of 10:00 a.m. The public is welcome.