"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Monday, March 30th, 2015
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 11:09:25, Mar 30th 2015 - vikefan 1 - To Typical Obama violating protocol by using executive actions? Do you ... [Read More]
- 8:26:07, Mar 30th 2015 - Typical - "To bypass the President of the United States and invite the leader of a f ... [Read More]
- 6:05:13, Mar 28th 2015 - Fillmore mom - I really enjoyed this article, too bad others used it as their persona ... [Read More]
- 12:29:12, Mar 28th 2015 - vikefan 1 - To Thanks! About blindly following Obama and his governing policies, yo ... [Read More]
- 5:23:52, Mar 27th 2015 - Jimbo79 - Sure, small towns have overlapping news. It seems odd that one should foll ... [Read More]
- 5:18:28, Mar 27th 2015 - FountainFarmer - johnqpublic, To expand on my previous post:,Let me ask you a que ... [Read More]
- 4:44:20, Mar 27th 2015 - Thanks! - I have read your articles for quite awhile now, always amazed that you seem ... [Read More]
- 4:26:44, Mar 27th 2015 - FountainFarmer - johnqpublic, So what if the Bluff Valley Reader had an article ... [Read More]
- 3:09:10, Mar 27th 2015 - johnqpublic - This looks familiar...where else have I read this? Just looks so famil ... [Read More]
- 10:51:48, Mar 27th 2015 - Vikefan 1 - Thanks, Mr. Van Gorp, for speaking out. I'm 100% with you. ... [Read More]
Mon, Mar 16th, 2009
Posted in Government
Posted in Government
The meeting of the Spring Valley City Council on Monday night lasted a total of 12 minutes before adjourning.
Performing Arts Center
What could be a major step for the Arts in Spring Valley was discussed at the Council meeting. The Council was asked for a resolution supporting the efforts of the Brave Community Theater in securing funding for a Performing Arts Center. The funding will come from a 3/8 % sales tax increase that Minnesota voters approved in November 2008. Of the funds generated from the sales tax 19.75% are designated for Arts and Cultural Heritage. State Representative Greg Davids has encouraged the members of the Brave Community Theater to begin planning now even though it might take several years down the line to complete.
In conversations with Rita Hartert, member of the Brave Community Theater she indicated that the group is in the very preliminary stages of this project and that they are coming up with a timeline and examining different options of long term funding through a business plan.
New Fire Truck Discussion
One of the major items on the agenda was the discussion of purchase for a new fire truck. City Administrator Deb Zimmer said that the City Council should be looking for ways to set aside funds over the next five years so a new fire truck can be purchased on a five year cycle. Zimmer indicated that a goal of "40 to 50 thousand per year set aside would be appropriate." Fire Chief Troy Lange is in the process of putting together a plan for the new equipment. He was not present at the meeting.
Two more EMT's have been added to the roster of Spring Valley Area Ambulance pending the outcome of background checks. One person is from Stewartville and the other from Rochester. They will be staying in Spring Valley when they are on call. With the approval of two new members there will be a total of 28 people in the Department with a goal of 30.
New Meeting Times
There will be a change in the meeting times of the Council starting at the next meeting. Members will begin their meeting at 6pm rather than 7pm.