"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Online Edition
Saturday, December 10th, 2016
Volume ∞ Issue ∞

Spring Valley is a "Storm Ready Community"

Fri, May 15th, 2009
Posted in Government

Mainly routine business at the May 11th Spring Valley City Council meeting Monday night. Todd Shea of the National Weather Service in LaCrosse was on the agenda to inform City officials that after years of work Spring Valley has been awarded the title of "Storm Ready Community." Shea talked about the efforts of everyone in Emergency Management and city officials in Spring Valley to make our community a safer place to live. He said that; "Spring Valley is identified by the National Weather Service in placing emphasis on communication and cooperation. "The accomplishments are the result of hard and diligent work in meeting all the goals of the title," said Shea. The Storm Ready status is good for three years and then must be updated to keep everyone current and to make sure the statement "Storm Ready" is a preparedness document that needs to be examined and changed as circumstances present themselves.

In other business, approval was given to Lee and Anne Kappers to hold a seasonal Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings from 9:00 - 11:00 in front of their store located at 128 North Broadway beginning May 23, 2009 through September 26, 2009.

The Council authorized the blocking of up to 6 parking stalls for the Farmer's Market.

The Spring Valley Chamber of Commerce has put in a request for an adjustment to the dispersal of funds for lodging in Spring Valley. The Chamber requested that they receive 95% of the $10,000 to be given to Historic Bluff Country. The City would receive the remaining 5% for administrative fee. The Council acted favorably and authorized the change.

The City received an award from the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency for efforts to protect the waters of Minnesota. For the period of October 1, 2007 through September 30, 2008 "it was found that you met the criteria for recognition as an outstanding facility." A Certificate of Commendation recognized the City and the operating staff for the outstanding operation, maintenance, and compliance of wastewater treatment system.

Payment for Estimate #1 on the Wading Pool Project was made to Aqua Logic Inc. of Waconia, MN. The amount paid according to the agreement was $110,295. The amount remaining to be paid is $23,705.

The Spring Valley Ambulance Association made two donations to the City from Charitable Gambling funds. The first was $3,000 toward the purchase of a CO Oximeter which will be used to detect the level of Carbon Monoxide in the blood stream of a patient. The second grant of $1,492 will be used to purchase two radios.

A reminder from Administrator Deb Zimmer that the City Wide Clean-up day is May 23rd. This will be an excellent opportunity for residents to get rid of any junk that has accumulated on their property. This clean up day goes hand in hand with the annual junk tour update on properties that are in violation of the City Junk Ordinance. Zimmer said; "we already have 4 or 5 properties that will be getting letters, so we'll see what happens."

FOR PHOTO ???????

Back Row left to right: Todd Shea, Kevin Beck, John Dohls, Mike Zimmer, Gladys Peterson, Gary Peterson. Front Row left to right: Jim Cooper, Jeff Kappers.

No Comments Yet. Be the first to comment!

Your comment submission is also an acknowledgement that this information may be reprinted in other formats such as the newspaper.