"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Online Edition
Friday, December 9th, 2016
Volume ∞ Issue ∞

Where should I keep my will?

Mon, Sep 26th, 2011
Posted in Ask the Expert

Jennifer A. Gumbel Attorney

You've gotten your will done! Where do you keep the original? Above all, you should keep it in a safe place that your named personal representative has access to. Normally, a safe deposit box is the best place to keep important documents. However, unless your personal representative has access to the safe deposit box now, they will only be able to access it upon submitting your will to court. The very document they need to get access to the safe deposit box, will be stuck in the safe deposit box. Many request their attorney keep the original. Assuming that there are no major changes in your life, you will hopefully not need it for years or decades to come. In that time, your attorney could retire or a flood or fire could destroy the document. A great alternative is to file the original with Court Administration in the county in which you reside. For a nominal fee, many counties will let you file your original. If you still haven't done your will, our office can assist you.

Springer & Gumbel, P.A.

141 W. Fillmore St.,

Preston, MN

Phone (507) 765-3600


No Comments Yet. Be the first to comment!

Your comment submission is also an acknowledgement that this information may be reprinted in other formats such as the newspaper.