"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Online Edition
Tuesday, September 30th, 2014
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
 

Milwaukee Road Historical Association President to speak at caboose dedication


Fri, Aug 8th, 2014
Posted in Preston The Great Outdoors

A dedication of the restored 1951 Milwaukee Road Caboose No. 02095 will be held on Saturday, August 16 at 10:30 a.m. at the Trailhead in Preston. The Trailhead is located at the intersection of Fillmore Street and Center Street.

The speaker for the event will be Bob Storozuk, President of the Milwaukee Road Historical Association. Bob Storozuk has been president of MRHA for the past 17 years and has also produced 10 videos on various elements of Milwaukee Road history. In addition he has authored, or co-authored four books on the railroad and has made extensive presentations to many community and historical organizations on both the Milwaukee Road and railroads in general, in the United States and Canada. He is a retired Chicago elementary school principal.

The focus of the MRHA is on providing historical information about the Milwaukee Road and its predecessors, however, extensive time, energy and funding is devoted to preservation and restoration of the railroads equipment, buildings and records. An annual meeting is held each year in a city or town which the Milwaukee served and they have published an extensive number of books on the railroad and its operations. In addition, they have produced and developed videos on the railroad and special books for children. They also share information and materials with other historical groups. Their website www.mrha.com has contact information for those looking for information, as well as the materials offered in the Company Store.

The caboose is part of the historical campus in Preston which includes the 1902 Milwaukee Elevator (on the National Register of Historic Buildings), a 1939 Milwaukee Road boxcar, and the restored O’Hara Schoolhouse.

The Preston Historical Society has been working for the past five years to completely restore the actual caboose once used on the Milwaukee Railroad. After purchase in Mauston, Wisc., the caboose was then moved to Preston.

Welded, set on original rails, painted, reupholstered, and with new lettering, the caboose will be ready for tours after the program at 10:30 a.m. The dedication and ribbon cutting will be followed by refreshments.

No Comments Yet. Be the first to comment!







Your comment submission is also an acknowledgement that this information may be reprinted in other formats such as the newspaper.