- 7:21:36, Nov 30th 2015 - Andy Wolter - Hey ol' neighbor! Apparently the FCJ doesn't archive your columns; I ca ... [Read More]
- 4:58:14, Nov 30th 2015 - doc - I ordered a California burger for take out. It was a really tasty burger and it ... [Read More]
- 9:41:05, Nov 27th 2015 - WoW - As a long time reader of your paper I think it should stay how it is. It's a ch ... [Read More]
- 1:35:05, Nov 26th 2015 - consaredumb - The most vocal people are always the most ignorant. ... [Read More]
- 2:58:00, Nov 25th 2015 - James1952 - The word on the street is that the folks who own the land above the schoo ... [Read More]
- 10:17:32, Nov 25th 2015 - - Yes it does take money to operate schools and keep buildings open. If the high s ... [Read More]
- 9:09:47, Nov 25th 2015 - @Says - Bottom line... it takes money to operate & keep open school buildings. Yes, I ... [Read More]
- 7:57:56, Nov 25th 2015 - nature man - I think y'all are in denial. Atrazine in all your well, shallow aquifer ... [Read More]
- 10:20:12, Nov 24th 2015 - - It's about the money? What an ignorant comment. Is that what you teach your kid ... [Read More]
- 9:20:20, Nov 24th 2015 - reader - What an inspiring message! Thank you! ... [Read More]
Posted in Education
The Rushford-Peterson D.A.R.E. class listed alphabetically: Hunter Bakkum, Waylon Banks, Shayna Bellock, Bryan Bendickson, Keean Benson, Alex Bessler, Carissa Bieberdorf, Mitchell Brand, Tatyanna Bronk, Megan Brown, Matthew Culhane, Noah Dahl, Marissa Didier, Maria Doerr, Bradley Eggert, Tucker Eide, Abigail Eidenschink, Zoe Feller, Taylor Gravos, Kayla Hanson, Indra Hermanson, Brooke Johnson, Clay Johnson, Bryce Kingsley, Dalton Kingsley, Kate Klungtvedt, Zachary Kniseley, Nicholas Knutson, Brittany Kuss, Nickolas Lee, Tanner Morrison, Savannah Neitzke, Bailey O’Hare, Rachel O’Shaughnessy, Justin Quella, Austin Ritter, Kendra Sand, Caleb Thompson, Kelsey Toomey, Joel Trejo, Jessica Vande Zande, Morgan Vitse, Kyle Weidemann, Clara Wieser and Caryn Wolter. Photo by Jason Sethre
These are some interesting facts on D.A.R.E. that I have learned: There are 6.5 out of 100 eighth graders that have either smoked or they still do smoke. It is illegal to sell tobacco to anyone under the age of 18. Smokers have more colds and upper respiratory problems. Cigarettes contain nicotine, a powerful substance that causes addiciton. Smoking is the number one cause of lung cancer. There are more than 200 known poisons in tobacco. Over 400,000 people die each year from tobacco-related causes. Smoking can cause yellow teeth and smelly breath. If you play sports and smoke, you could suffer from shortness of breath and dizziness.
Marijuana is a very harmful drug, too. Marijuana users have an increased risk of cancer. Marijuana smokers have more colds and upper respiratory problems. Marijuana is illegal in the United States. There is more tar in marijuana smoke than in tobacco. Marijuana affects your brain and body. Marijuana smoke contains 50 to 70 percent more cancer-causing chemicals than tobacco smoke. Marijuana can be addictive.
Alcohol slows down the brain and body. Some examples of this are loss of coordination, slow reflexes, and loss of self-control, poor judgment, memory lapses and slurred speech.
Things that can affect parts of your body: your brain- marijuana and inhalants; your mouth and your thoughts- marijuana and inhalants; your lungs- marijuana and inhalants; your heart and your liver- marijuana and inhalants.
D.A.R.E. was funny and fun because of all the advertizing we got to do in class. I don't think I am ever going to smoke or do drugs because of all the things that I have learned and the guest speaker who told us about his hard time and how he still is struggling to get through life every day. I had a good time and I can't wait until I graduate from D.A.R.E. because I will feel so good and I will feel like I learned something, and I did learn a lot of things.