"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Online Edition
Saturday, October 22nd, 2016
Volume ∞ Issue ∞

Sign up for a new Conservation Stewardship Program

Wed, Jun 2nd, 2010
Posted in Agriculture

The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) has announced a sign-up for the 2010 Conservation Stewardship Program (CSP) with the sign-up/ranking period to end June 11, 2010 in Minnesota.

The Conservation Stewardship Program changed dramatically in the 2008 Farm Bill. Congress renamed and revamped the former Conservation Security Program completely to improve its availability and appeal to agricultural and forestry producers. The CSP program rewards producers who are maintaining high levels of conservation on their land, while encouraging additional levels of conservation stewardship. Eligible lands include cropland, pastureland, and private forestland. Eligible applicants may include owner/operators, operators, or legal entities that are identified as the farm operator with the local Farm Service Agency (FSA). The new CSP is available nationwide with competition based on ranking pools consisting of several counties with similar geography and farming operations. Ranking is determined by the producer's current and proposed conservation activities. Contracts are five years in length with annual payments made to the farm operator.

Your local NRCS will be having two meetings in June to assist with the sign-up. The meeting dates are Wednesday, June 2, from 1:30 to 3:30 PM, and Thursday, June 3, from 7 to 9 PM. Both meetings will be held in Room 108 at the Fillmore County Courthouse Annex, 902 Houston Street, Preston, MN. Please contact the NRCS field office at 507-765-3878 by May 28 to reserve your place at either of these two meetings. You will need to verify that you will be attending one of these meetings so that farm maps, farm operation information, and eligibility records can be made available for your use during the meeting.

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272(voice), or (202) 720-6382 (TDD).

No Comments Yet. Be the first to comment!

Your comment submission is also an acknowledgement that this information may be reprinted in other formats such as the newspaper.