Boots & Badges
Letterwerks Sign City
"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Online Edition
Tuesday, September 27th, 2016
Volume ∞ Issue ∞

What is a Certificate of Assumed Name?

Fri, Sep 27th, 2013
Posted in All Ask the Expert

According to the Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State: Any individual, corporation, limited partnership or limited liability company that conducts business in Minnesota under a name other than their full legal name, must file a Certificate of Assumed Name.

After filing with this office, you must publish the Certificate of Assumed Name with a qualified Legal Newspaper for two consecutive issues in the county where the principal place of business is located. After publication, the newspaper will return an affidavit of publication which should be retained by the business. Failure to publish may render the filing invalid.

An annual renewal is required once each calendar year. There is no charge for filing the annual renewal unless the assumed name is expired for failure to file an annual renewal, in which case there is a reinstatement fee.

The Fillmore County Journal is the official legal newspaper for Fillmore County, along with many cities, townships and schools in Fillmore County. If you ever have any questions regarding publishing a legal notice, our staff is well-versed on making sure your legal notices are published in accordance with Minnesota State Statute. Please feel free to call us at 507-765-2151 with any questions.

No Comments Yet. Be the first to comment!

Your comment submission is also an acknowledgement that this information may be reprinted in other formats such as the newspaper.

Studio A Photography