"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Online Edition
Thursday, October 20th, 2016
Volume ∞ Issue ∞

I won a judgment at conciliation court. Now what?

By Matt Kirkpatrick

Fri, Jul 26th, 2013
Posted in Preston Ask the Expert

First, the court is not in charge of collecting your judgment award. You have a piece of paper stating some party owes you money. If the party, also known as a judgment debtor, does not pay you, the next step is to file an “Affidavit of Identification of Judgment Debtor” (which can be downloaded from www.mncourts.gov) with the court and pay a court fee to transcribe the judgment to district court. Once transcribed, you receive a court notice. Then, you may be able to enforce your judgment by pursuing involuntary collection methods, also known as post-judgment remedies, such as bank garnishments or wage garnishments. Our office can help you with judgment enforcement, including analyzing possible post judgment remedies available to you.

No Comments Yet. Be the first to comment!

Your comment submission is also an acknowledgement that this information may be reprinted in other formats such as the newspaper.