"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Saturday, April 30th, 2016
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 6:37:45, Apr 29th 2016 - SEMN - Really you don't own that sign in! Grow up! I can't stop laughing! Last time I ... [Read More]
- 3:52:31, Apr 29th 2016 - Combat Veteran - @Paul- Where is your "you're a racist, warmongering, hateful, bigot" ... [Read More]
- 8:54:50, Apr 28th 2016 - LOLZ - Some dough head is using my name. I couldn't care less about the school, my ki ... [Read More]
- 2:10:13, Apr 28th 2016 - SEMN - What are you going to do about it SEMN? Last time I checked you didn't own the ... [Read More]
- 8:02:21, Apr 28th 2016 - SEMN - So who's the clown that is using my sign in, grow up. ... [Read More]
- 5:54:17, Apr 28th 2016 - Lala - Look the bully FC girl switched sports! ... [Read More]
- 5:53:10, Apr 28th 2016 - Semn - LOLZ, your the troll! ... [Read More]
- 10:18:05, Apr 27th 2016 - Paul - Not sure either party can say their system is perfect. Remember about throwin ... [Read More]
- 6:54:34, Apr 26th 2016 - Paul - Hawkeye, I've missed your out-of-touch "I'm right, you're wrong" rants. Glad ... [Read More]
- 11:59:13, Apr 26th 2016 - LOLZ - Trolling is a disease. Just like square dancing. ... [Read More]
Fri, Jul 19th, 2013
Posted in All Columnists
Posted in All Columnists
The telegraph; it has served as a worldwide communication platform decades ago, sending messages with its dot/dash combinations that proved to be the most innovative technology at the time. What is most likely considered a primitive device to many people compared to today’s smartphone, the telegraph just added some more to its chapter in history books as the last telegram was sent on Sunday, July 14, 2013.
Although telegraph usage has been outdated in the United States for years, those in the country of India have utilized it up until Sunday. According to NBC News India’s telegraph industry peaked in the mid-1980s when the country had 45,000 telegraph offices within its borders, supplying jobs to tens of thousands of workers and sending up to 600,000 telegraphs per day.
However, after the introduction of cell phones and other mobile devices, text messaging services have rained on the telegraph lines. After at least seven years of revenue losses, the Indian government, which for the most part regulated telegraph stations, has decided that the end of the era of the telegram has arrived.
Created by Samuel Morse, the well-known name for his invention of the Morse code, convinced Congress to spend $30,000 to supply electrical wires for 41 miles from Washington to Baltimore. By 1844, Morse had used his code to send the message, “What hath God wrought.” And hence, the use of the telegraph was dawned as a significant method of real-time communication.
Only four years later American investors and promoters collected enough money to fund the construction of a system that linked the most populous areas of the United States. And, by the year 1866 a telegraph cable had been laid at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean connecting North America with Europe, allowing for international communication within minutes.
Far from what we have at our finger tips’ exposure today, the telegraph paved the way for how we get messages from Point A to Point B. Stop.