"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Friday, July 25th, 2014
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 3:01:39, Jul 22nd 2014 - Don K. - My medical premium will go up significantly next year under Obama care. Thi ... [Read More]
- 8:44:09, Jul 20th 2014 - @ new resident - Wykoff has a summer softball league for youths ages 5-18 and they ha ... [Read More]
- 11:28:08, Jul 18th 2014 - Go kaase! - Tom I hope you get elected as sheriff! Although you have worked in roche ... [Read More]
- 3:14:00, Jul 18th 2014 - SV citizen - I have concern that there would be a conflict of interest with Kaase bei ... [Read More]
- 1:22:00, Jul 18th 2014 - Bear - Obama care isnt the answer. Sure Mr. Grehl some people in Minnesota have medi ... [Read More]
- 9:13:08, Jul 18th 2014 - KingslandGrad95 - what?-even though smoking marijuana is illegal, unless the amount o ... [Read More]
- 6:52:38, Jul 17th 2014 - Kaase for Sheriff - First of all I think that both candidates have great ideas. But i ... [Read More]
- 4:13:24, Jul 16th 2014 - Two dogs - Why would Mr. Kaase want to take a pay cut of $30,000 dollar a year plus t ... [Read More]
- 9:57:55, Jul 16th 2014 - Kaase got my vote👍 - With this interview kaase got my vote! We need change in the ... [Read More]
- 6:54:19, Jul 16th 2014 - what? - The school on 1st ave pushes there snow onto the street. And NO ONE in harmon ... [Read More]
Fri, May 24th, 2013
Posted in Canton Obituaries
Posted in Canton Obituaries
June L. Shanks, age 82, of Canton, Minn. died Monday, May 20, 2013 from injuries received in an accident.
June was born March 5, 1931 at home in rural West Concord, Minnesota to Wilhelm and Theresa Dohrmann. She graduated from the Pine Island High School, Pine Island, Minn. in 1949. She worked at the Pine Cheese Mart and at the Red Owl grocery store in Pine Island. On November 10, 1950 she married Royce “Rudy” Shanks in Pine Island. They farmed in that area until 1962 when they moved to Winona, Minn. for a short time, and then to Canton where they owned and operated the Canton Feed and Seed until their retirement. She had also worked at the Harmony Hospital and Harmony Hotel, Harmony, Minn. Rudy later died on December 25, 1996. June was a member of the Henrytown Lutheran Church, Henrytown, Minn. and American Legion Auxiliary, and enjoyed her children and grandchildren, sewing, gardening, bird watching, traveling, fishing, and until just a few years ago, deer hunting.
June is survived by three sons, Duane (Denise) of Decorah, Iowa, Michael (Cindy) of Canton, and Daniel (Margo) of Canton; eight grandchildren; ten great-grandchildren; a brother Robert (Donna) Dohrmann; three sisters Gladys (Earl) Hopkins, Phyllis (Don) Schutz, and Adeline (Rollie) Schletty; and a daughter-in-law Lynell Shanks of Harmony. She was preceded in death by her husband, Royce (Rudy); a son Steven; and two brothers, William and his wife Donna, and Royce Dohrmann.
A memorial service was Friday, May 24, at the Henrytown Lutheran Church in rural Harmony with the Rev. Paul Thompson officiating. Celebration of Life was Thursday, May 23 at the Henrytown Lutheran Church and one hour prior to services.