"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Friday, October 24th, 2014
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 8:55:22, Oct 24th 2014 - yup - I just got a bill for the 1st ave road construction $4,539.61 Omg really. I hav ... [Read More]
- 3:58:48, Oct 24th 2014 - Remember - Please remember this Wykoff voters. You may also be interested in knowing ... [Read More]
- 1:07:20, Oct 24th 2014 - Goodness1 - What do people in harmony need a community garden for? Everyone has spa ... [Read More]
- 12:52:15, Oct 24th 2014 - Michele Ekern - My only comment is that THERE WAS FLOOD WATER IN RUSHFORD SCHOOL!!! ... [Read More]
- 10:50:58, Oct 24th 2014 - SMDH - Another rambling, crazy rant from Stan. Stick to shouting conspiracies from ... [Read More]
- 7:16:15, Oct 24th 2014 - 1st ave resident - People really need to respect the law and stop blocking our drivew ... [Read More]
- 7:10:43, Oct 24th 2014 - whatever - Good luck with the gardens! The food will be stole! Maybe then they will s ... [Read More]
- 10:15:40, Oct 22nd 2014 - wow - Wow! How are we here voting on this again?! Rusfords motto after the flood was ... [Read More]
- 10:08:54, Oct 22nd 2014 - Also an RP Fan - Peterson too. Let's all combine as one city. We could learn a gr ... [Read More]
- 9:18:55, Oct 22nd 2014 - R-P fan - This referendum thing has divided the community. Let's change the subject. ... [Read More]
Fri, May 24th, 2013
Posted in Spring Valley Obituaries
Posted in Spring Valley Obituaries
Bernadine G. Schmidt, age 81, of Spring Valley, Minn., died Tuesday morning, May 21, 2013, at the Spring Valley Care Center.
Bernadine was born February 23, 1932, in Granger, Minn., the daughter of Harry and Nellie (Turnmire) Lange. She attended country school, Dist. 80, until the 8th grade. On December 14, 1956, she married Donald A. Schmidt in Chatfield, Minn. and the couple made their home in rural Spring Valley. She was a homemaker for a number of years until her children were older, she then started working part-time for Libby’s/Seneca Foods in Rochester, Minn. until she retired. Donald died December 2, 2002. She had been a resident of the Spring Valley Care Center since June 2005.
She loved living out in the country; it was the best place in the world to raise a family. Her talents were endless; everything from trapping gophers, butchering poultry, nursing a sick baby calf and let’s not forget her mouth watering baked goodies. You could never stop by for just a visit…there was always coffee on and you couldn’t leave without something to eat. She was famous for her ‘thin as a dime’ flaky-crust fruit pies. Either the berries came from her own garden or she had been out in the woods picking the wild blackberries. While making her pies, she always reserved extra filling and crust so that the grandchildren had their own, individual, mini-pie. Her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren were her greatest joys. She loved looking out her kitchen window and watching her grandchildren on the old walnut tree swing. Her soothing voice and gentle hands will be missed by so many.
Bernadine is survived by three daughters, Jerilyn (Larry Fishbaugher) Schmidt of Racine, Minn.; Sharlene (Dan) Aarsvold of Spring Valley and Colleen (David) Marks of Ostrander, Minn.; nine grandchildren; three great-grandchildren; two sisters, Vera Lange of Chatfield and Margaret (Gust) Lex of Stewartville, Minn.; five brothers, Jerry (Ruby) Lange of Rochester, Paul (JoAnn) Lange of Utica, Minn.; Ray Lange of Spring Valley, Roy (Kathy) Lange of Chatfield and Lee (Diane) Lange of Millville, Minn.; and many nieces and nephews. She was preceded in death by her husband; one daughter, Karolyn Zwart in 2004; three infant siblings; and four brothers, Willie, Orville, Francis and Lawrence Lange.
The funeral was on Friday, May 24, 2013, at Our Savior’s Lutheran Church in Spring Valley with Rev. Dennis Timmerman and Rev. Laura Fladten co-officiating. Burial will be in the church cemetery.