"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Wednesday, April 1st, 2015
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 10:34:51, Apr 1st 2015 - Sad - Average US household income is $53,891. Medicare and Social Security tax= 7.65% ... [Read More]
- 8:57:55, Apr 1st 2015 - Skunkpuppy - @BethShade and @Knewhimforseveralyears No matter what someone has done ... [Read More]
- 3:21:04, Mar 31st 2015 - doc - Not to mention ignoring science yet believing in fairy tales. ... [Read More]
- 12:16:25, Mar 31st 2015 - Vikefan 1 - To Left Winger: You choose to call what Reagan and Bush did as "tweak ... [Read More]
- 9:53:03, Mar 31st 2015 - left winger - vikefan please get you facts straight, What Regan did was a technical c ... [Read More]
- 2:52:28, Mar 30th 2015 - Typical - Vikefan, The main difference between me an you is I have my own opinion. ... [Read More]
- 11:09:25, Mar 30th 2015 - vikefan 1 - To Typical Obama violating protocol by using executive actions? Do you ... [Read More]
- 8:26:07, Mar 30th 2015 - Typical - "To bypass the President of the United States and invite the leader of a f ... [Read More]
- 6:05:13, Mar 28th 2015 - Fillmore mom - I really enjoyed this article, too bad others used it as their persona ... [Read More]
- 12:29:12, Mar 28th 2015 - vikefan 1 - To Thanks! About blindly following Obama and his governing policies, yo ... [Read More]
Fri, May 24th, 2013
Posted in Spring Valley Obituaries
Posted in Spring Valley Obituaries
Bernadine G. Schmidt, age 81, of Spring Valley, Minn., died Tuesday morning, May 21, 2013, at the Spring Valley Care Center.
Bernadine was born February 23, 1932, in Granger, Minn., the daughter of Harry and Nellie (Turnmire) Lange. She attended country school, Dist. 80, until the 8th grade. On December 14, 1956, she married Donald A. Schmidt in Chatfield, Minn. and the couple made their home in rural Spring Valley. She was a homemaker for a number of years until her children were older, she then started working part-time for Libby’s/Seneca Foods in Rochester, Minn. until she retired. Donald died December 2, 2002. She had been a resident of the Spring Valley Care Center since June 2005.
She loved living out in the country; it was the best place in the world to raise a family. Her talents were endless; everything from trapping gophers, butchering poultry, nursing a sick baby calf and let’s not forget her mouth watering baked goodies. You could never stop by for just a visit…there was always coffee on and you couldn’t leave without something to eat. She was famous for her ‘thin as a dime’ flaky-crust fruit pies. Either the berries came from her own garden or she had been out in the woods picking the wild blackberries. While making her pies, she always reserved extra filling and crust so that the grandchildren had their own, individual, mini-pie. Her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren were her greatest joys. She loved looking out her kitchen window and watching her grandchildren on the old walnut tree swing. Her soothing voice and gentle hands will be missed by so many.
Bernadine is survived by three daughters, Jerilyn (Larry Fishbaugher) Schmidt of Racine, Minn.; Sharlene (Dan) Aarsvold of Spring Valley and Colleen (David) Marks of Ostrander, Minn.; nine grandchildren; three great-grandchildren; two sisters, Vera Lange of Chatfield and Margaret (Gust) Lex of Stewartville, Minn.; five brothers, Jerry (Ruby) Lange of Rochester, Paul (JoAnn) Lange of Utica, Minn.; Ray Lange of Spring Valley, Roy (Kathy) Lange of Chatfield and Lee (Diane) Lange of Millville, Minn.; and many nieces and nephews. She was preceded in death by her husband; one daughter, Karolyn Zwart in 2004; three infant siblings; and four brothers, Willie, Orville, Francis and Lawrence Lange.
The funeral was on Friday, May 24, 2013, at Our Savior’s Lutheran Church in Spring Valley with Rev. Dennis Timmerman and Rev. Laura Fladten co-officiating. Burial will be in the church cemetery.