"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Tuesday, September 30th, 2014
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 9:12:52, Sep 30th 2014 - Justthefacts - "open enrolled out" 1) WIth your username "open enrolled out" you ... [Read More]
- 6:24:43, Sep 30th 2014 - hawkeye62 - What we really need is a President with the will and experience to lead i ... [Read More]
- 9:49:34, Sep 29th 2014 - REDHORSE51 - PRETTY GOOD CHANCE THE ANIMALS ARE DEMOCRATS CROSSING THE ROAD TO SEE WH ... [Read More]
- 4:48:52, Sep 29th 2014 - open enrolled out - It is time for us to again listen to thoughts of passionate peopl ... [Read More]
- 9:28:02, Sep 29th 2014 - KingslandGrad95 - The person's identity will be made known at the meeting. The perso ... [Read More]
- 3:11:22, Sep 28th 2014 - - Who is this person ... [Read More]
- 6:14:51, Sep 20th 2014 - firstname.lastname@example.org - Since I grew up in Pilot Mound I have memories of REDS DOG PATCH ... [Read More]
- 2:10:21, Sep 19th 2014 - Barb Jeffers - The additional photos of the Dogpatch are now on the Fillmore County J ... [Read More]
- 1:41:34, Sep 19th 2014 - yorty - Parade is at 11 am ... [Read More]
- 1:00:41, Sep 19th 2014 - - Visited the facebook page of The Fillmore County Journal and was unable to find mo ... [Read More]
Fri, May 24th, 2013
Posted in Spring Valley Obituaries
Posted in Spring Valley Obituaries
Bernadine G. Schmidt, age 81, of Spring Valley, Minn., died Tuesday morning, May 21, 2013, at the Spring Valley Care Center.
Bernadine was born February 23, 1932, in Granger, Minn., the daughter of Harry and Nellie (Turnmire) Lange. She attended country school, Dist. 80, until the 8th grade. On December 14, 1956, she married Donald A. Schmidt in Chatfield, Minn. and the couple made their home in rural Spring Valley. She was a homemaker for a number of years until her children were older, she then started working part-time for Libby’s/Seneca Foods in Rochester, Minn. until she retired. Donald died December 2, 2002. She had been a resident of the Spring Valley Care Center since June 2005.
She loved living out in the country; it was the best place in the world to raise a family. Her talents were endless; everything from trapping gophers, butchering poultry, nursing a sick baby calf and let’s not forget her mouth watering baked goodies. You could never stop by for just a visit…there was always coffee on and you couldn’t leave without something to eat. She was famous for her ‘thin as a dime’ flaky-crust fruit pies. Either the berries came from her own garden or she had been out in the woods picking the wild blackberries. While making her pies, she always reserved extra filling and crust so that the grandchildren had their own, individual, mini-pie. Her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren were her greatest joys. She loved looking out her kitchen window and watching her grandchildren on the old walnut tree swing. Her soothing voice and gentle hands will be missed by so many.
Bernadine is survived by three daughters, Jerilyn (Larry Fishbaugher) Schmidt of Racine, Minn.; Sharlene (Dan) Aarsvold of Spring Valley and Colleen (David) Marks of Ostrander, Minn.; nine grandchildren; three great-grandchildren; two sisters, Vera Lange of Chatfield and Margaret (Gust) Lex of Stewartville, Minn.; five brothers, Jerry (Ruby) Lange of Rochester, Paul (JoAnn) Lange of Utica, Minn.; Ray Lange of Spring Valley, Roy (Kathy) Lange of Chatfield and Lee (Diane) Lange of Millville, Minn.; and many nieces and nephews. She was preceded in death by her husband; one daughter, Karolyn Zwart in 2004; three infant siblings; and four brothers, Willie, Orville, Francis and Lawrence Lange.
The funeral was on Friday, May 24, 2013, at Our Savior’s Lutheran Church in Spring Valley with Rev. Dennis Timmerman and Rev. Laura Fladten co-officiating. Burial will be in the church cemetery.