Boots & Badges
Letterwerks Sign City
"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Online Edition
Sunday, December 4th, 2016
Volume ∞ Issue ∞

Part 3: Mabel-Canton senior class trip diaries

Fri, May 17th, 2013
Posted in Canton Education

Day 8

By Christy Welscher and Morgan Roppe

We started out the day early in the morning so we could be the first group at Mount Vernon, home of George Washington. We took a tour of the house and walked around the property. After we got back on the bus Dave gave us our own American flags as he prepared us for Arlington Cemetery. At the cemetery we looked at many of the gravestones of the men and women who died for our country. We saw many famous tombstones, including the Kennedy family and Audie Murphy (the most decorated soldier). At 1 o’clock in the afternoon, the four class officers separated from the group to receive instructions for the laying of the wreath on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. After receiving the instructions, they returned to their group to watch the changing of the guard. When the time came, the four officers lined up and were led down the stairs by one of the guards. The wreath was placed by the president and the vice president; it was a very moving moment for everyone. After the wreath laying, our class had an emotional moment together that we will never forget.

After we left Arlington Cemetery, we traveled to the Marine Memorial. Six classmates re-enacted the raising of the flag at Iwo Jima. While we were at the memorial, we talked to a veteran who fought in the Battle of Iwo Jima. After talking to the veteran, everyone in our class shook his hand and thanked him for his service. Next we all got dressed up for a night at the theatre. First, we promenaded into Phillip’s Seafood Buffet. We enjoyed a great meal in each other’s company.  Afterwards we took pictures on the dock and then headed to the Kennedy Center. There we saw the play “Shear Madness,” a murder mystery. The play was wonderful, and the actors were hilarious. After the play when we got on the bus it was a bitter sweet moment. Dave informed us that it was our last night in DC and that he would miss our family. It was a day filled with all sorts of emotions.

Day 9

The Last Day in D.C.

By Austin Ryan, Zeth Curran

On the 9th day was the last day in D.C. When we left the hotel, we went to the White House and walked on the sidewalk next to the White House.We couldn’t go all the way up to the fence because it was taped off, and Secret Service were blocking off the whole road. Then after we were done with the White House, we walked over to the Lincoln Memorial and the Vietnam Memorial.  We all had free time to look on our own. Then we all made our way to the Holocaust Museum, and we all walked on our own and took as much time as we needed. When we were done with the Holocaust Museum, we all made our way to the American History Museum to get some food.  When we were done eating,  we had time to walk around the mall. Then we all met up at 2:30 to head back home.  

Day 10

By Katie Schulte and Kaylor Aasum

At 2:12 everyone was awakened by flashing red and blue lights. About six miles outside of Chicago, our bus was pulled over. We found out that we had a headlight out. We pulled into a truck stop for a bathroom break, and by the time everyone came back to the bus, the driver had fixed the headlight. Everyone went back to sleep, and we continued down the road toward Wisconsin.

Around 6 a.m., we were awakened by Dave. He proceeded to tell us that we were going to stop for breakfast in a few minutes. He had us all convinced that it was Wisconsin’s smallest McDonalds! We came to find out that it was actually Wisconsin’s largest McDonalds! After breakfast we loaded back on the bus and headed for Mabel. On the way there, Dave made us stay awake and tell everyone what our favorite hotel, food, and place were. Pulling out of Lacrosse, we switched bus drivers for the last time, and we headed for Mabel. Driving into Mabel, we first saw Elizabeth’s parents standing on their back porch waving at us. After we passed BP, Erin’s mom followed our bus all the way to the school! Mostly everyone’s parents were there to help with our suitcases, since we were all exhausted. Most of us were just excited to go home and sleep! All in all, we had a good time, though we were excited to get home, we were also sad to leave. There were many great memories made. Even though it seemed to end so quickly, the memories will stay with us.

We will always be a family.

No Comments Yet. Be the first to comment!

Your comment submission is also an acknowledgement that this information may be reprinted in other formats such as the newspaper.

Foods Weekly Ads
Studio A Photography