"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Online Edition
Thursday, October 27th, 2016
Volume ∞ Issue ∞

Part 1: Mabel-Canton senior class trip diaries

Fri, May 3rd, 2013
Posted in Mabel Education

Day 1

By Erin Wood and Courtney Smith

We had to be at the school at 3:45 am in order to leave by 4:30. We got there and had to have our bags checked. Our parents brought us, so we got to say goodbye to them. We loaded the bus and left Mabel. Dave Zimmer was our tour guide and let us go back to sleep as soon as we got on the bus. I think most of us were too excited to go back to sleep.  Dave woke us up early that morning as we were nearing Chicago and started loading our heads with information. He had us up and dancing and re-enacting situations as far back as the Civil War. When we got to Chicago, we went to the Willis Tower and got to go out on the ledge to look over the whole city. Following the Willis Tower, Dave gave us a taste of the traveling we’d be doing in the next nine days as he led us through Millennium Park. After Millennium Park, we headed out to Ohio to spend our first night together as a family. We went swimming and ate. The next day we were up at the crack of dawn to further our adventure.

Day 2

By Danielle Paul and Kayla Phillips

This morning we woke up in Ohio around 4 am. Departure was 4:30 am so we could make it to Gettysburg by 1:30 pm. Today in 1865 was the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln. When first arriving, we went to a visitor center. While there we saw a movie on Abraham Lincoln, and then we went upstairs and saw a 380 foot long, 42 foot high Cyclorama painting. The painting looked so real you couldn’t tell what was a painting and what was actual land. In the painting the artist painted in Abe Lincoln’s face and also painted himself in. After the visitor center, we went out onto the battlefield. While out on the battlefield, we re-enacted how to fire a cannon. Just like every year the girls’ team won.

Once we were done on the battlefield, we went across the way to the cemetery on Cemetery Ridge. While there we listened to Erin give the Gettysburg Address. That night it was time to go out onto the battlefield in the dark to see the ghosts. While out on the battlefield, we got to go up in the Pennsylvania Monument to look out onto the battlefield and see what it looked like at night. After hearing ghost stories, it was time to slowly head back to the hotel for the night. Everyone took their own pace to absorb everything they wanted to and to try and feel what it was like back during the war. To many people this was one of the biggest highlights of the trip.

Day 3

By Kristina Mengis and Logan Henry

We started off the morning early in Gettysburg. Most of us went to breakfast that was provided by the hotel. After breakfast, we put all of our bags in the bus. Once everyone was on the bus, we went to the Gettysburg Visitor Center to pick up our tour guide Phil Cole. We drove around from one monument to the next. He would tell us the meaning to the monuments and what happened in that part of the battlefield, like Picket’s Charge, which was 15,000 Confederate soldiers attacking the Union center.  When he was telling us about what happened at the left flank of the Union line, two Civil War soldiers appeared. The soldiers were Courtney Smith as the Confederate soldier and Christy Welscher as the Union soldier.

We walked through a part of the battlefield called the Devils Den, and we walked up Little Round Top. We went and visited the most photographed monument on the battlefield, the Minnesota Monument. There were 264 men from Minnesota soldiers at the battle and only 30 men survived. After we were done visiting Gettysburg, we made our way to Harpers Ferry. We went through the three states of Maryland, Virginia, and West Virginia, all within an hour before getting to Harpers Ferry. We saw where the Shenandoah River and Potomac River meet. After Harpers Ferry, we made our way to the top of the Appalachian Mountains, also known as the Skyline drive. The view was amazing, and we could see at least fifty miles. After a long day, we finally made it back to the hotel in Charlottesville. In this hotel we all learned about the Boston Marathon Bombing. We were all kind of worried about what would happen in Washington D.C. because of the bombing.  

Day 4

By Trent Nelson & Amanda Rasmussen

On day four we left our hotel in Charlottesville, Virginia, around eight. We traveled to Monticello, the mountaintop home of Thomas Jefferson. At Monticello we learned Thomas Jefferson was the third President, and he was also the draftsman of the U.S. Declaration of Independence. Thomas Jefferson died in bed at Monticello on July 4th, 1826.   Thomas Jefferson was very rich, but by the time he died, he was in debt. Once we left Monticello, we traveled to Jefferson Hotel in downtown Richmond and ate our five-star dinner. During dinner the fire alarm went off. It was a false alarm, though.  

After our amazing dinner we went and toured Jamestown, the birthplace of America. After our tour we traveled to our hotel and went out on our own to eat. Later we went to Old Williamsburg for our night walk and watched the play “Mamma and Papa,” which taught us two lessons: that not everything is how it seems, and when you’re angry, put your anger away. Then we saw the house George Washington’s wife lived in before their marriage.  The walk was fun and interesting. After our night walk in old Williamsburg, we went back to our hotel in Richmond and went to sleep right away.

See next week’s Fillmore County Journal for the next entries in the Mabel-Canton senior class trip diaries.

No Comments Yet. Be the first to comment!

Your comment submission is also an acknowledgement that this information may be reprinted in other formats such as the newspaper.