"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Thursday, August 28th, 2014
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 5:25:09, Aug 27th 2014 - hawkeyejay - Hank, I wouldn't bet your pension or SS check on ACA being cast in stone ... [Read More]
- 5:10:18, Aug 27th 2014 - hawkeyejay - Just like Yvonne to trot out the " Republican War On Women" routine. I g ... [Read More]
- 7:33:35, Aug 27th 2014 - KingslandGrad95 - wtf, why did you make that comment on a story regarding high school ... [Read More]
- 11:00:14, Aug 25th 2014 - wtf - Your article on Preston fastpitch wins big. The under 15 age takes 2nd.. There ... [Read More]
- 8:52:32, Aug 25th 2014 - Rae - I wish that you had included Stab from TJ's Liquor in your article. Stab has b ... [Read More]
- 10:32:36, Aug 22nd 2014 - Mad Mike - Doc, how do you get any truth or facts with the current set up that this ... [Read More]
- 9:31:25, Aug 22nd 2014 - KingslandGrad95 - doc, You mentioned that "Republicans want the truth, they just ... [Read More]
- 8:00:02, Aug 19th 2014 - doc - Republicans want the truth, they just don't like facts. ... [Read More]
- 7:58:04, Aug 19th 2014 - doc - Gas prices were $4.25 the last summer that GWB was in office. ... [Read More]
- 4:40:55, Aug 19th 2014 - dave - Gas prices were $1.79 a gallon when GWB left office ... [Read More]
Fri, Apr 26th, 2013
Posted in Canton Obituaries
Posted in Canton Obituaries
John d. Turck, age 89, of rural Canton, Minn., died Tuesday, April 23, 2013, at Harmony Community Healthcare, Harmony, Minn.
John Daniel Turck was born June 15, 1923, in Preston, Minn. to Earl and Martha (Rasmussen) Turck. He was baptized and confirmed at St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church in Preston. He was a 1941 graduate of Preston High School. He then attended Austin Junior College, Austin, Minn. for two years. He helped his dad with the family trucking business until he was called to serve in the US Army from 1944 - 1946 stateside.
Turke trained as a medic, for the military police and as a driver for the motor pool. He always said he probably had the longest record for taking basic training. When he returned from the army he helped his dad with the trucking business until taking over when his dad retired. He hauled general commodities, household goods and livestock. The last few years he was trucking hogs to Geo. A. Hormel. He trucked almost 50 years retiring on November 30, 1992. He continued hauling apples, following his retirement, for Jacobson’s Pine Tree Orchard in the fall.
He married Anita Buss of Spring Valley on August 21, 1966. To this union were born three sons, David, Michael and James. He loved them and was very proud of them. The couple lived in Preston until about 12 years ago when they moved to their farm in rural Canton. John and Anita spent part of 19 winters in Arizona.
He was a member of the Preston American Legion for 66 years and was also a member of the Preston Masonic Lodge. He served on the building committee for Christ Lutheran Church , Preston and was church treasurer for six years. He enjoyed reading, especially books about the civil war, history and railroads.
He is survived by his wife Anita; sons, David (Melanie), Michael (Leah) and James (Jill); the apple of his eye, granddaughter, Deirdre; sisters-in-law, LaDonna (Dick) Severson and Marilyn (Lyn) July; and brother-in-law, Fred (Robbie Monroe) Buss. He was preceded in death by his parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins.
The funeral was Friday, April 26, 2013, at Christ Lutheran Church with Rev. Dave Jore officiating. Burial was in the Henrytown Lutheran Cemetery, Henrytown, Minn. (rural of Canton).
Thauwald Funeral Home in Preston is assisted the family with arrangements.