"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Wednesday, September 28th, 2016
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 5:26:29, Sep 27th 2016 - Thomas E. H. - @ Kim Wentworth, ^the last post was from me. I just wanted to be c ... [Read More]
- 3:44:00, Sep 27th 2016 - Kim Wentworth - @Thomas E. H.- the planet's temp changes, goes thru cycles, a tweak u ... [Read More]
- 1:58:02, Sep 27th 2016 - @ Kim Wentworth - That previous post was directed to Mr. Schwartzentruber. If you ha ... [Read More]
- 10:10:34, Sep 27th 2016 - Kim Wentworth - @ Thomas E. H.- I will have to rely on you to tell me if you are jok ... [Read More]
- 9:15:13, Sep 26th 2016 - Patriot - Hello Hum. I disagree with your view on running K9 officers by vehicles in ... [Read More]
- 2:44:07, Sep 26th 2016 - Thomas E. H. - I would like to thank Mr. Schwartzentruber for illuminating Agenda 21. ... [Read More]
- 2:06:32, Sep 26th 2016 - Aaron Bishop - @ Kim Wentworth, Thank you for your comment. I did indeed mull that ... [Read More]
- 1:26:51, Sep 26th 2016 - Kim Wentworth - From the top: while neither side is perfect in the area of "facts" fo ... [Read More]
- 1:08:55, Sep 26th 2016 - Kim Wentworth - I think in the beginning you should have used the words "democrat" an ... [Read More]
- 12:45:42, Sep 26th 2016 - Hey Hum... - Is it rummer or rumor? ... [Read More]
Fri, Apr 19th, 2013
Posted in Mabel Obituaries
Posted in Mabel Obituaries
Roger E. Darrington, age 93, of Spring Grove, Minn. died Wednesday, April 10, 2013 at the Gundersen Medical Center in La Crosse, Wisconsin.
Roger was born February 19, 1920 in Winneshiek County, Iowa to Fred and Ina (Golberg) Darrington. He attended rural schools in Winneshiek County, graduated from the Mabel High School, Mabel, Minn, and attended college in Winona, Minn. Roger spent 3 1/2 years in the U.S. Army Air Corp, serving for over 2 years in England as a Radio Technician. He was discharged in September 1945 as a Staff Sergeant.
In 1945 he married Anne Baukol. To this union three children were born. He worked in feed and implement businesses with his father, Fred, in the Mabel area, and farmed for several years. They moved to Scottsdale, Arizona in 1961 where he was a supervisor for a grocery chain for several years. He ended his working career by being a district representative for Lutheran Brotherhood for 17 years.
Roger was active in the church work serving on the church council and different committees in both Hesper, Minn and Scottsdale. After moving back to Minnesota he sang in the Hesper Lutheran church choir and was co-chair for 18 years of the Steam Engine Days church stand.
After the death of his wife he moved back to Minnesota and married Doris Moen Anderson in 1983. They moved to Spring Grove in 1990.
Roger was member of the American Legion for over 68 years, was an avid sports fan, and loved golfing, playing cards, and dancing. Recently he was one of seven people elected to the Mabel High School All-Century Baseball Team.
Roger is survived by his wife Doris of Spring Grove; three children, Craig (Judy) Darrington of Lake Elmo, Minn, Cathy Stephenson of Stillwater, Minn, and Cory (Vicky) Darrington of Colton, California; a sister Barbara Skramstad of Aurora, Colorado; six grandchildren; seven great grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his wife Anne; son-in- law George Stephenson; several brother-in -aws and sister-in-laws; and several nieces and nephews.
Funeral services were held Tuesday, April 16 at the Hesper Lutheran Church with the Rev. Matt Larson officiating. Burial was in the Hesper Lutheran Cemetery with military honors by the American Legion.