"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Tuesday, November 24th, 2015
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 3:40:51, Nov 24th 2015 - James1952 - I can't find anywhere that Mr. Gudmundson was guilty of plagiarism. What ... [Read More]
- 12:12:31, Nov 24th 2015 - Repairing Kingsland will take years - The first step is to get rid of useless McDona ... [Read More]
- 11:22:40, Nov 24th 2015 - @Wykoff Stays - Good to hear that your so upbeat about the Wykoff school staying ope ... [Read More]
- 9:40:41, Nov 24th 2015 - JustTheFacts - I don't have blind fatih in Stan, he's been proven wrong too many time ... [Read More]
- 9:14:55, Nov 24th 2015 - James1952 - Just like it did the vote yes group. Stan has laid the facts out there fr ... [Read More]
- 8:07:04, Nov 24th 2015 - JustTheFacts - It was well known FACT going into the 2002 vote. But as we have seen ... [Read More]
- 7:55:53, Nov 24th 2015 - Wykoff Stays! - Thanks Gwen Howard, Troy Asher and Kristin Beck for standing up for w ... [Read More]
- 9:06:31, Nov 23rd 2015 - James1952 - If that were the fact, the school would have been waving that in the taxp ... [Read More]
- 3:18:08, Nov 23rd 2015 - JustTheFacts - Im not sure which was more sad, watching the 15 year old RP high schoo ... [Read More]
- 11:14:38, Nov 23rd 2015 - James1952 - It was over 2 referendums ago. But folks in that district, like you, whi ... [Read More]
Fri, Apr 19th, 2013
Posted in Mabel Obituaries
Posted in Mabel Obituaries
Roger E. Darrington, age 93, of Spring Grove, Minn. died Wednesday, April 10, 2013 at the Gundersen Medical Center in La Crosse, Wisconsin.
Roger was born February 19, 1920 in Winneshiek County, Iowa to Fred and Ina (Golberg) Darrington. He attended rural schools in Winneshiek County, graduated from the Mabel High School, Mabel, Minn, and attended college in Winona, Minn. Roger spent 3 1/2 years in the U.S. Army Air Corp, serving for over 2 years in England as a Radio Technician. He was discharged in September 1945 as a Staff Sergeant.
In 1945 he married Anne Baukol. To this union three children were born. He worked in feed and implement businesses with his father, Fred, in the Mabel area, and farmed for several years. They moved to Scottsdale, Arizona in 1961 where he was a supervisor for a grocery chain for several years. He ended his working career by being a district representative for Lutheran Brotherhood for 17 years.
Roger was active in the church work serving on the church council and different committees in both Hesper, Minn and Scottsdale. After moving back to Minnesota he sang in the Hesper Lutheran church choir and was co-chair for 18 years of the Steam Engine Days church stand.
After the death of his wife he moved back to Minnesota and married Doris Moen Anderson in 1983. They moved to Spring Grove in 1990.
Roger was member of the American Legion for over 68 years, was an avid sports fan, and loved golfing, playing cards, and dancing. Recently he was one of seven people elected to the Mabel High School All-Century Baseball Team.
Roger is survived by his wife Doris of Spring Grove; three children, Craig (Judy) Darrington of Lake Elmo, Minn, Cathy Stephenson of Stillwater, Minn, and Cory (Vicky) Darrington of Colton, California; a sister Barbara Skramstad of Aurora, Colorado; six grandchildren; seven great grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his wife Anne; son-in- law George Stephenson; several brother-in -aws and sister-in-laws; and several nieces and nephews.
Funeral services were held Tuesday, April 16 at the Hesper Lutheran Church with the Rev. Matt Larson officiating. Burial was in the Hesper Lutheran Cemetery with military honors by the American Legion.