"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Thursday, August 21st, 2014
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 8:00:02, Aug 19th 2014 - doc - Republicans want the truth, they just don't like facts. ... [Read More]
- 7:58:04, Aug 19th 2014 - doc - Gas prices were $4.25 the last summer that GWB was in office. ... [Read More]
- 4:40:55, Aug 19th 2014 - dave - Gas prices were $1.79 a gallon when GWB left office ... [Read More]
- 9:08:48, Aug 19th 2014 - doc - What was the MN unemployment rate when GWB was in office? ... [Read More]
- 10:48:03, Aug 15th 2014 - Retired - A quick google search offers numerous ideas for community education. Knitt ... [Read More]
- 10:44:01, Aug 15th 2014 - tom - I believe that part of what made this country great was the ability to work to ... [Read More]
- 12:31:16, Aug 14th 2014 - Mad Mike - All you liberal's think a like. You read what you want to read and liste ... [Read More]
- 10:28:11, Aug 13th 2014 - Dale Eppen - Herb, I am so happy you like Obama Care. I also assume you like half a ... [Read More]
- 9:54:03, Aug 11th 2014 - rschalow - Sign the Petition: Tell North Dakota Leaders that the oil companies aren't ... [Read More]
- 1:25:19, Aug 11th 2014 - NCLoon - Would Mr. Gudmonson please share with us where he gathered all of the data r ... [Read More]
Fri, Apr 19th, 2013
Posted in Mabel Obituaries
Posted in Mabel Obituaries
Roger E. Darrington, age 93, of Spring Grove, Minn. died Wednesday, April 10, 2013 at the Gundersen Medical Center in La Crosse, Wisconsin.
Roger was born February 19, 1920 in Winneshiek County, Iowa to Fred and Ina (Golberg) Darrington. He attended rural schools in Winneshiek County, graduated from the Mabel High School, Mabel, Minn, and attended college in Winona, Minn. Roger spent 3 1/2 years in the U.S. Army Air Corp, serving for over 2 years in England as a Radio Technician. He was discharged in September 1945 as a Staff Sergeant.
In 1945 he married Anne Baukol. To this union three children were born. He worked in feed and implement businesses with his father, Fred, in the Mabel area, and farmed for several years. They moved to Scottsdale, Arizona in 1961 where he was a supervisor for a grocery chain for several years. He ended his working career by being a district representative for Lutheran Brotherhood for 17 years.
Roger was active in the church work serving on the church council and different committees in both Hesper, Minn and Scottsdale. After moving back to Minnesota he sang in the Hesper Lutheran church choir and was co-chair for 18 years of the Steam Engine Days church stand.
After the death of his wife he moved back to Minnesota and married Doris Moen Anderson in 1983. They moved to Spring Grove in 1990.
Roger was member of the American Legion for over 68 years, was an avid sports fan, and loved golfing, playing cards, and dancing. Recently he was one of seven people elected to the Mabel High School All-Century Baseball Team.
Roger is survived by his wife Doris of Spring Grove; three children, Craig (Judy) Darrington of Lake Elmo, Minn, Cathy Stephenson of Stillwater, Minn, and Cory (Vicky) Darrington of Colton, California; a sister Barbara Skramstad of Aurora, Colorado; six grandchildren; seven great grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his wife Anne; son-in- law George Stephenson; several brother-in -aws and sister-in-laws; and several nieces and nephews.
Funeral services were held Tuesday, April 16 at the Hesper Lutheran Church with the Rev. Matt Larson officiating. Burial was in the Hesper Lutheran Cemetery with military honors by the American Legion.