Boots & Badges
Letterwerks Sign City
"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Online Edition
Friday, September 30th, 2016
Volume ∞ Issue ∞

Selling Wild Mushrooms

By Jerrold Tesmer

Mon, Mar 18th, 2013
Posted in All Agriculture

By Jerrold Tesmer, Extension Educator for Fillmore/Houston Counties

Soon after I was hired, I was advised, “When someone calls with a question, you might as well find out the answer, because others will have the same question.”

I’ve now had two questions about rules for approval to sell wild mushrooms. So Delbert, this column is to you!

The Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA) has specific regulations for individuals who wish to harvest and sell wild mushrooms. There are also specific regulations in the Minnesota Food Code (Minnesota Rules, Chapter 4626) regarding wild mushrooms. The Minnesota Food Code requires that all food sold or served to the public must be obtained from an approved source.

The Minnesota Food Code states that a food establishment may only purchase wild mushrooms from an approved source where each mushroom is individually inspected and found to be safe by a mushroom identification expert. A mushroom identification expert is someone whose knowledge of mushroom species has been “…verified and approved by the regulatory authority through the successful completion of a wild mushroom identification course provided by either an accredited college or university or a mycological society.”

To be an approved (safe) source of wild mushrooms, and to sell wild mushrooms to a food establishment in Minnesota, the mushroom identification expert must: (1) qualify to be licensed by MDA or a delegated agency; and (2) obtain a letter from the college or university where they took a mushroom identification course, certifying that they have successfully completed the course. The letter must be provided to MDA or the local authority that issues a license.

The MDA, Minnesota Department of Health, and the University of Minnesota Extension have a one-page a fact sheet, “Harvesting and selling Wild Mushrooms in Minnesota” which provides additional guidance.

It is found at, under Food Safety, and then Produce Safety. Or to learn more about becoming an MDA approved source, or to inquire an MDA license, call MDA Dairy and Foods Inspection Division at (651) 201-6027.


Your comment submission is also an acknowledgement that this information may be reprinted in other formats such as the newspaper.


10:06:23, Apr 23rd 2013

Thanks for putting out the information Jerrold. After many years, there are in fact classes offered through the University of Minnesota Extension. Information can be received by sending an inquiry to Holly Andruschak: . I will be teaching this years classes which will cover the Morel, Giant Puffball, Black Trumpet and Oyster mushroom for certification. We expect to add more in the future and expand the locations it is offered at to include a More Northern and a more Southern option. The classes are offered on Thursday April 25, 26, 29th and May 1st beginning at 9:00am and running until 12:00. A person need only attend one session.

I would love to see some of your readers there!

Mike Kempenich
Chief Fungi
The Mikeology Store

Studio A Photography