Boots & Badges
Letterwerks Sign City
"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Online Edition
Thursday, July 28th, 2016
Volume ∞ Issue ∞

Parents Can Get Tax Credit for Sending Kids to Day Camp

Tue, Jun 29th, 2010
Posted in State of Minnesota

ST. PAUL - Many working parents need to arrange for care for their children when school is out. A popular solution - with a tax benefit - is a day camp program.

The Internal Revenue Service reminds parents that the cost of day camp may be a qualifying expense for the Child and Dependent Care Credit, which can be worth as much as $2,100 at tax time. Taxpayers should keep records of qualifying expenses.

Expenses for overnight camps do not qualify. However, summer expenses for an in-home childcare provider or a daycare facility also may qualify working parents for the tax credit, just as they do during the school year.

To qualify, expenses must be for a child under 13 years old and who is the taxpayer's dependent. The expenses must be work-related, meaning the care allows the parent(s) to work or look for employment.

The credit is generally 20 to 35 percent of expenses (less any amount reimbursed by a pre-tax flexible spending account), capped at $3,000 in expenses for one child and at $6,000 for two or more children. The actual credit varies by income, but the maximum credit applies to income below $15,000. The 20 percent rate applies to taxpayers with income of more than $43,000.

For more information, see IRS Publication 503, Child and Dependent Care Expenses, available at or by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).

No Comments Yet. Be the first to comment!

Your comment submission is also an acknowledgement that this information may be reprinted in other formats such as the newspaper.

Foods Weekly Ads
Studio A Photography