Click Here to Download Form
 
Letterwerks Sign City
 
"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Online Edition
Wednesday, September 17th, 2014
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
 

St. Paul's Lutheran Church celebrates 140 years


Fri, Jul 2nd, 2010
Posted in Faith & Worship

Granger and Big Spring have been sister congregations since 1873 with the parsonage being located at Big Springs. Granger paid a larger sum towards the pastor's salary than Big Spring since Big Spring kept up the upkeep of the parsonage.

German was preached and taught in the school till 1908 when English was introduced into the church and its services.

Confirmation classes met each year from the first of November to Palm Sunday, five days a week from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and were known as Congregational Schools.

Confirmants boarded in either Granger or Big Spring depending where the pastor lived and was conducting classes. Pastor Staehling lived two winters in Granger during pastorate here thus serving the community there since there were no confirmants in Big Spring. Rev. T. Wanger drove the distance from Granger to Big Spring and vice-versa each day during his ministry.

This excerpt is from the 100-year anniversary book of St. Paul's Lutheran Church.

The congregation invites the public to a historic celebration on Sunday, July 11 starting at 10:30 a.m.

No Comments Yet. Be the first to comment!







Your comment submission is also an acknowledgement that this information may be reprinted in other formats such as the newspaper.


Studio A Photography