"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Online Edition
Wednesday, June 29th, 2016
Volume ∞ Issue ∞

I did a will years ago and need to make changes. How do I do that?

By Jennifer Gumbel

Fri, Nov 23rd, 2012
Posted in Preston Ask the Expert

Springer & Gumbel, P.A.

141 W. Fillmore St.,

Preston, MN

Phone (507) 765-3600

Jennifer A Gumbel



If you’re looking at a will that’s a few years old, you might see things you want to change. The natural inclination is to scratch what no longer makes sense and write in a new direction. This is not permitted in Minnesota. How is a probate judge supposed to know that someone else didn’t find your will and scratch out the parts they didn’t like? In order to be recognized, changes must be done in the same way the will was done in the first place, most importantly by having two disinterested people witness the change. One option is a codicil, or amendment, to the will. This works well for straight forward changes like changing who serves as personal representative. If there are a lot of changes to be made or if you don’t want interested people to later on find out you made a change, you should consider doing a brand new will. If your old will doesn’t reflect your current intent, speak with a licensed attorney to make sure your changes are recognized.

No Comments Yet. Be the first to comment!

Your comment submission is also an acknowledgement that this information may be reprinted in other formats such as the newspaper.