Letterwerks Sign City
"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Online Edition
Thursday, July 28th, 2016
Volume ∞ Issue ∞

Q: Are the plants in my yard safe for my pets to eat?

By Dr. Linda Sifford

Fri, May 11th, 2012
Posted in All Ask the Expert

Root River Veterinary Center • www.rootrivervetcenter.com • 507-765-2117

A: Many of the plants that grow in your yard are pretty but some of them can harm your pets. Eating some plants can cause your pet to have minor intestinal upset which may lead to a decreased appetite, vomiting, and diarrhea. However, there are a few plants that are very toxic and can even cause death. All varieties of lilies are extremely toxic to cats and cause acute kidney failure. Yew shrubs are also extremely toxic and eating them can cause seizures and heart failure in both cats and dogs. Preventing exposure to poisonous plants is much easier than trying to treat it once your pet has already eaten a toxic plant. Always keep pets out of gardens and flower beds unless you are sure that the plants are not poisonous. Toxic house plants should be kept in separate rooms and away from unsupervised pets. Call us if you have questions about poisonous plants. We are here to help you and your pets.

No Comments Yet. Be the first to comment!

Your comment submission is also an acknowledgement that this information may be reprinted in other formats such as the newspaper.