Boots & Badges
Letterwerks Sign City
"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Online Edition
Saturday, December 3rd, 2016
Volume ∞ Issue ∞

Q: I have a will I did years ago and need to make changes. Can I just cross out the old parts and write in what I want now?

By Jennifer Gumbel

Fri, May 11th, 2012
Posted in All Ask the Expert

Springer & Gumbel, P.A.

507-765-3600 •

A: Once you do a will, circumstances can change. The person you wanted to be your executor twenty years ago may not be the person you want to do it now. You may want to change who gets your estate or you may have sold land you described in your will. There are many reasons you might need to change your will. However, you can’t just scratch out the old stuff and write in the new. Under Minnesota Statute, wills must be signed and witnessed by two people. In order to ensure clarity in making changes and to ensure that will requirements are followed, any changes you make should be done through a document that the probate court and estate planners call a codicil. A codicil is a document that formally amends a will and follows the formalities, such as signing and having two witnesses, of a will. If it’s been a while since you did your will, our office can help you make sure you amend it properly, so that it meets your needs now.

No Comments Yet. Be the first to comment!

Your comment submission is also an acknowledgement that this information may be reprinted in other formats such as the newspaper.

Foods Weekly Ads
Studio A Photography