"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Friday, May 24th, 2013
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 11:44:26, May 21st 2013 - airmaxs52274 - Have you ever thought about adding a little bit more than just your a ... [Read More]
- 5:56:33, May 18th 2013 - modgudur - I guess the child is anti-gun control since Obama went to all that trouble ... [Read More]
- 9:27:41, May 16th 2013 - caal girl - Nice outfit on you. I loved some of the dresses but am holding my breath ... [Read More]
- 2:03:34, May 14th 2013 - - Thanks for sharing the trip with us! ... [Read More]
- 4:12:01, May 9th 2013 - Amanda Ziebell - Wow! Thanks to the Fillmore County Journal for this kind story. For a ... [Read More]
- 11:47:30, May 7th 2013 - EW - ramble.....ramble.....ramble..... ... [Read More]
- 10:25:25, May 7th 2013 - Thunder6 - Great article! I love to see the Youth of Fillmore County receiveing acco ... [Read More]
- 6:52:10, May 6th 2013 - Jason Sethre, Publisher of Fillmore County Journal & Olmsted County Journal - Maryh, ... [Read More]
- 7:29:56, May 5th 2013 - maryh - Where are OCJ's available for pickup...other than at the new office? ... [Read More]
- 2:41:47, May 3rd 2013 - Remark1976 - Mrs. Buckbee, I just looked up Senate File 796 and in it there are said p ... [Read More]
Greetings from Austin, Minnesota! Located on I-90, visitors from the west will come through this major city located on the Cedar River.
Austin is the home of the Fortune 500 company -- Geo. A. Hormel & Company. Hormel is the largest independent meat and food processor in America, but Austin is more than that!
Austin offers the visitor a wide array of seasonal activities, from summer fairs; fishing in area lakes and streams to cross-country skiing in the winter. We are the county seat of Mower County located approx-i-mately 100 miles south of the Twin Cities and about 12 miles north of the Iowa border.
Our Chamber of Commerce will be happy to supply you with information on what to see, what to do, and where to stay. Please give us a call at 1-800-444-5713 or write: Austin Visitor's Bureau, 329 Main St. N, Suite 106L, Austin MN 55912.
If you're driving from the west, take the Highway 16 exit off of I-90 and head toward Grand Meadow. Located near the border of Fillmore County and Mower County, Grand Meadow offers a variety of downtown shopping. Just east of town is Pine Lawn, a well known area picnic spot.
Lake Louise State Park is located in southeastern Minnesota just north of the Iowa border. The park is located in Mower County, 1 1/2 miles north of LeRoy on County Road 14, State High-way map index: L-21.
Lake Louise State Park is often referred to as an "oasis" in the rich farmland of southeastern Minnesota. Many species of wildlife are attracted by the diverse habitat of hardwood forest and old field areas found in the park.
The 1,168 acre park contains two spring-fed streams which join in the park to form the Iowa River, a dam and impoundment where a grist mill was located in the late 1800's.
Stewartville is a small city with a friendly atmosphere located in the beautiful Root River Valley 10 miles south of Rochester. Stewartville has much to offer, whether you come for a visit or stay for a lifetime.
The people of Stewartville are proud of their community. The business district boasts a 29-unit motel, bowling alley, banks, grocery store, drug store, small shops, a civic center, and family restaurants as well as fast food and convenience stores. Drive down the picturesque streets and you will find nine churches, a large municipal swimming pool, and four parks that provide activities for young and old. There is great hiking and cross-country skiing through Bear Cave Park; Florence Park is a beautiful scenic park on the Root River which offers picnic facilities; Brin Park also has picnic facilities and playground equipment; and Meadow Park offers tennis courts and softball fields.
The Stewartville Historical Society purchased the Sears home, birthplace of Richard Sears, founder of Sears and Roebuck & Co. The home is being renovated and will be open to the public for tours.
Stewartville is well worth a stop during your visit to southeastern Minnesota.
Just south of Stewartville on Highway 63 is the small town of Racine. Racine boasts one of the areas most well known restaurants, the 7th Rib.
South of Racine, near the junction of Highways 63 & 16 is Deer Creek Speedway. During the racing season, regular stock car races are held nearly every weekend.
La Crescent is a growing community with a thriving business district. Located in Houston County in the southeast corner of Minnesota, La Crescent has a boundary of the Mississippi River on one side, and the apple orchard cov-ered bluffs on the other.
Enjoy our annual Applefest the 3rd weekend of September. Events include arts & crafts, flea market, carnival and parades. When in town for Applefest be sure to take a drive on Apple Blossom Scenic Drive to view the wonderful fall colors or the spectacular lights at night.
Fishing? You bet. You can wet your line in the Mississippi River at the pool below the Lock and Dam No. 7, north of La Crescent for all varieties of fish. Good trout streams are accessi-ble in the surrounding area, also.
For more information, please contact the La Crescent Chamber of Commerce, P.O. Box 132, La Crescent, MN 55947. Phone 507-895-2800 or 1-800-926-9480.