"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Wednesday, July 27th, 2016
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 1:55:04, Jul 27th 2016 - SV85 - @left luvr "Where are you getting this stuff?" Where I told you before----" ... [Read More]
- 12:58:29, Jul 27th 2016 - Kim Wentworth - @lolz- meant to type Carol Mosby in my last post. ... [Read More]
- 10:35:15, Jul 27th 2016 - Kim Wentworth - @lolz- Mr. Trump never uttered the "all" when talking about any ethn ... [Read More]
- 8:39:21, Jul 27th 2016 - Middle Man - Trump leaves a lot to be desired, hopefully if elected he surrounds hims ... [Read More]
- 7:13:53, Jul 27th 2016 - Aunt Barb - I am so proud of you, Michael, working to make this world a more peaceful ... [Read More]
- 12:36:54, Jul 27th 2016 - left luvr - @sv85 Where are you getting this stuff? One server for classified info a ... [Read More]
- 6:36:59, Jul 26th 2016 - What the ???? - @sv85 Where is this fact vs opinion stuff come from? Left luvr is mak ... [Read More]
- 2:34:51, Jul 26th 2016 - LOLZ - I think someone needs a dictionary or possibly his ears cleaned. 1) Misogyn ... [Read More]
- 1:46:43, Jul 26th 2016 - SV85 - @left luvr "I don't like Hillary because she is incompetent, that is a fact, ... [Read More]
- 9:27:19, Jul 26th 2016 - Kim Wentworth - @lolz- you could not show one example of a bigot, racist, or misogyni ... [Read More]
Fri, Aug 27th, 2010
Posted in Health & Wellness
Posted in Health & Wellness
The Minnesota Department of Health today confirmed the cause of death of a seven-year-old child as primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM), a very rare form of meningitis caused by an amoeba associated with warm freshwater.
The organism, identified with assistance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), is known as Naegleria fowleri, an amoeba commonly found in warm freshwater and soil. It causes a very rare but severe brain infection and is nearly always fatal. The organism infects people by entering the body through the nose. Generally, this occurs when people use warm freshwater for activities such as swimming or diving.
Infections are very rare, even though Naegleria is commonly found in freshwater all over the world. While it can occur anywhere, infection with Naegleria usually occurs in warm southern states in the U.S. It has caused infections in 15 southern tier states. In the 10 years ending in 2007, 33 infections were reported in the U.S.
By comparison, deaths due to drowning occur 1,200 times more often with over 36,000 drownings occurring in a similar 10 year period.
Health officials acknowledged that the child had gone swimming at several different locations over the several weeks preceding her infection.
"Since this organism is known to be associated with warmer water, it is understandable that this infection occurred in a year that has been unseasonably warm for freshwater in the state," said Dr. Richard Danila, an epidemiologist with MDH.
Danila said the occurrence of the case does not signal any increased risk to the public from any particular body of freshwater. The organism could occur anywhere, but is more likely to be found in shallower, warmer, stagnant bodies of water.
"Swimming is a very healthy, summertime activity and we do not want to discourage people from swimming," he said.
Information on healthy swimming and recreational water use can be found at: http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swimming/.
Information on Naegleria is available on the MDH website at http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/idepc/diseases/naegleria/index.html.