"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Friday, August 29th, 2014
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 5:25:09, Aug 27th 2014 - hawkeyejay - Hank, I wouldn't bet your pension or SS check on ACA being cast in stone ... [Read More]
- 5:10:18, Aug 27th 2014 - hawkeyejay - Just like Yvonne to trot out the " Republican War On Women" routine. I g ... [Read More]
- 7:33:35, Aug 27th 2014 - KingslandGrad95 - wtf, why did you make that comment on a story regarding high school ... [Read More]
- 11:00:14, Aug 25th 2014 - wtf - Your article on Preston fastpitch wins big. The under 15 age takes 2nd.. There ... [Read More]
- 8:52:32, Aug 25th 2014 - Rae - I wish that you had included Stab from TJ's Liquor in your article. Stab has b ... [Read More]
- 10:32:36, Aug 22nd 2014 - Mad Mike - Doc, how do you get any truth or facts with the current set up that this ... [Read More]
- 9:31:25, Aug 22nd 2014 - KingslandGrad95 - doc, You mentioned that "Republicans want the truth, they just ... [Read More]
- 8:00:02, Aug 19th 2014 - doc - Republicans want the truth, they just don't like facts. ... [Read More]
- 7:58:04, Aug 19th 2014 - doc - Gas prices were $4.25 the last summer that GWB was in office. ... [Read More]
- 4:40:55, Aug 19th 2014 - dave - Gas prices were $1.79 a gallon when GWB left office ... [Read More]
Mon, Sep 13th, 2010
Posted in Police Reports
Posted in Police Reports
ST. PAUL - An 18-day statewide enhanced DWI enforcement effort, August 20-September 6, resulted in the arrest of 1,775 motorists. Preliminary DWI arrest totals were reported to the Department of Public Safety (DPS) Office of Traffic Safety by 332 law enforcement agencies.
Consequences for a DWI include loss of license for up to a year, up to $20,000 in legal costs and heightened insurance rates, and possible jail time.
"Despite the progress we have made to prevent alcohol-related crashes, it's discouraging that many motorists are failing to consider others' safety by making the selfish and potentially deadly decision to drive impaired," says Minnesota State Patrol Lt. Eric Roeske. "The results from this campaign are clear - if you drive drunk, you will be arrested."
During the campaign, 2,891 motorists were also ticketed for seat belt violations. DPS included a seat belt enforcement focus to counter unbelted nighttime fatalities, which are especially prevalent in alcohol-related crashes. Each year, 75 percent of impaired drivers killed in alcohol-related crashes are not wearing seat belts.
The Minnesota State Patrol arrested 234 for DWI during the campaign. In the metro area, St. Paul Police Department reported 47 DWI arrests, followed by Minneapolis Police (45); New Hope Police (25); Maplewood Police (21); Ramsey County Sheriff's Office (20); and Eden Prairie Police (19). In greater Minnesota, Duluth Police and St. Cloud Police each arrested 25; followed by Mower County Sheriff's Office (23); and Austin Police (19).
Last year in Minnesota, there were 141 alcohol-related traffic deaths and 279 motorists were seriously injured in alcohol-related crashes. DPS reports enhanced DWI enforcement campaigns have factored in the state's positive trend of fewer alcohol-related deaths in recent years.
In Minnesota, one in seven drivers have a DWI on record, and each year more than 30,000 motorists are arrested for DWI - nearly 33,000 were apprehended in 2009.
DWI enforcement is a component of the state's core traffic safety initiative, Toward Zero Deaths (TZD). TZD focuses on the application of four strategic areas to reduce crashes - education, enforcement, engineering and emergency trauma response. The goal of the program is 400 or fewer deaths by the end of 2010. To-date, there have been 280 traffic deaths in Minnesota.
Minnesota Department of Public Safety
Office of Communications
444 Cedar St. Ste. 155
Saint Paul, MN 55101