- 2:36:11, Jun 2nd 2015 - Hawkeye63 - Trying to see the point of Yvonne's letter. A law was passed regarding fri ... [Read More]
- 9:52:43, Jun 1st 2015 - SV80 - Wentworth. Doesn't seem sporting to engage someone who can't spell 3rd grade ... [Read More]
- 3:40:30, Jun 1st 2015 - firstname.lastname@example.org - Congratulations Girls! You all did a super job. What a wonderful ... [Read More]
- 2:46:35, Jun 1st 2015 - sbearbow - Babe (Mom to the Twins), really needs your help. She has injured her groin ... [Read More]
- 2:34:00, Jun 1st 2015 - doc - @ doc and sv80- why don't you two go get a room some where We can just do it ... [Read More]
- 2:12:48, Jun 1st 2015 - Kim Wentworth - @sv80- the news of the your global warming FARCE is on to some degree ... [Read More]
- 1:59:15, Jun 1st 2015 - lol - 2nd place is the first lossers. Then the girls go home and cry. Lol. Most of you ... [Read More]
- 1:55:05, Jun 1st 2015 - wow - So, you people are funny. Do u remember in history class about the glaciers that ... [Read More]
- 11:04:50, May 31st 2015 - trojan fan - Margaret Carlson, you need to read RP school board chair Linder's respo ... [Read More]
- 10:23:01, May 31st 2015 - fact check - Yes Stan's OPINION is shocking....it is also not factual. I'm certain ... [Read More]
Sample spring and rediscover the solitude and harmony of nature. Angle for trout, enjoy wild flowers, take up birding, scout for mushrooms -- these and more can be enjoyed in the countryside near Spring Valley. In town, check out the Tourist Info Stop on the main highway for complete information on Bluff Country attractions.
If you would like to sample fascinating history, tour the 1876 Methodist Church Museum on the National Register with its 21 remarkable stained glass windows and its connection with Laura Ingalls Wilder. A photo and artifact exhibit show the Wilder family's involvement with Spring Valley history. Visit the rest of the historical society's museum complex including the Washburn-Zittleman House with its 12 exhibit areas of turn-of-the-century furnishings, the new Ag Building and adjacent History Hall. Also on the National Register is the 1904 Carnegie Library.
Summer can best be sampled through recreation. The City Park offers a solar-heated swimming pool, picnic shelter and tables, children's playground, ball fields, and tennis and volleyball courts. Tee off on the Root River Country Club's excellent 9-hole golf course, or check out other relaxing options such as tubing, horseback riding or picnicking at nearby Lake Louise State Park. For a cool change of pace, tour Mystery Cave where you will see an underground cathedral, beautiful Turquoise Lake and many more unusual and ed-ucational sights.
Any time is the right time to visit Forestville State Park located 11 miles southeast of Spring Valley. You can camp, horseback ride, hike, picnic, fish, bird, snowmobile, or cross-country ski at this lovely forested park. Camping is also available near Spring Valley at Deer Creek Campground. Motels, a B&B and several dining places furnish more good places to eat and stay over.
As summer draws to a close, enjoy the Wilder Fest Celebration in Spring Valley in mid-August. The entire family can participate or be entertained by a multitude of events which include dancing, contests, a parade, a quilt and flower show, an ice cream social with live music, an historic house tour, and an exciting fireworks display to climax the weekend.
Fall comes alive when you sample the Fall Foliage Tour. Take the scenic drive beginning in Spring Valley, traveling east on Highway #16 to Hokah circling west on Highway #44 back to Highway #63, then north to Spring Valley. The trip may take approximately five hours, depending on the number of stops at produce stands or for refreshment breaks.
Winter, of course, means sampling snow activities. Besides cross-country skiing and snowmobiling, you can snowshoe on the delightfully uncrowded trails in the area. The Historical Society also hosts an annual Christmas Open House Tour and Christmas Tea the first weekend in December. Come and sample the fun!