- 11:43:52, Oct 25th 2014 - wow - SMDH....JUST WOW.....if the kids r trespassing go shead and spray them!! Spray ... [Read More]
- 8:55:22, Oct 24th 2014 - yup - I just got a bill for the 1st ave road construction $4,539.61 Omg really. I hav ... [Read More]
- 3:58:48, Oct 24th 2014 - Remember - Please remember this Wykoff voters. You may also be interested in knowing ... [Read More]
- 1:07:20, Oct 24th 2014 - Goodness1 - What do people in harmony need a community garden for? Everyone has spa ... [Read More]
- 12:52:15, Oct 24th 2014 - Michele Ekern - My only comment is that THERE WAS FLOOD WATER IN RUSHFORD SCHOOL!!! ... [Read More]
- 10:50:58, Oct 24th 2014 - SMDH - Another rambling, crazy rant from Stan. Stick to shouting conspiracies from ... [Read More]
- 7:16:15, Oct 24th 2014 - 1st ave resident - People really need to respect the law and stop blocking our drivew ... [Read More]
- 7:10:43, Oct 24th 2014 - whatever - Good luck with the gardens! The food will be stole! Maybe then they will s ... [Read More]
- 10:15:40, Oct 22nd 2014 - wow - Wow! How are we here voting on this again?! Rusfords motto after the flood was ... [Read More]
- 10:08:54, Oct 22nd 2014 - Also an RP Fan - Peterson too. Let's all combine as one city. We could learn a gr ... [Read More]
Sample spring and rediscover the solitude and harmony of nature. Angle for trout, enjoy wild flowers, take up birding, scout for mushrooms -- these and more can be enjoyed in the countryside near Spring Valley. In town, check out the Tourist Info Stop on the main highway for complete information on Bluff Country attractions.
If you would like to sample fascinating history, tour the 1876 Methodist Church Museum on the National Register with its 21 remarkable stained glass windows and its connection with Laura Ingalls Wilder. A photo and artifact exhibit show the Wilder family's involvement with Spring Valley history. Visit the rest of the historical society's museum complex including the Washburn-Zittleman House with its 12 exhibit areas of turn-of-the-century furnishings, the new Ag Building and adjacent History Hall. Also on the National Register is the 1904 Carnegie Library.
Summer can best be sampled through recreation. The City Park offers a solar-heated swimming pool, picnic shelter and tables, children's playground, ball fields, and tennis and volleyball courts. Tee off on the Root River Country Club's excellent 9-hole golf course, or check out other relaxing options such as tubing, horseback riding or picnicking at nearby Lake Louise State Park. For a cool change of pace, tour Mystery Cave where you will see an underground cathedral, beautiful Turquoise Lake and many more unusual and ed-ucational sights.
Any time is the right time to visit Forestville State Park located 11 miles southeast of Spring Valley. You can camp, horseback ride, hike, picnic, fish, bird, snowmobile, or cross-country ski at this lovely forested park. Camping is also available near Spring Valley at Deer Creek Campground. Motels, a B&B and several dining places furnish more good places to eat and stay over.
As summer draws to a close, enjoy the Wilder Fest Celebration in Spring Valley in mid-August. The entire family can participate or be entertained by a multitude of events which include dancing, contests, a parade, a quilt and flower show, an ice cream social with live music, an historic house tour, and an exciting fireworks display to climax the weekend.
Fall comes alive when you sample the Fall Foliage Tour. Take the scenic drive beginning in Spring Valley, traveling east on Highway #16 to Hokah circling west on Highway #44 back to Highway #63, then north to Spring Valley. The trip may take approximately five hours, depending on the number of stops at produce stands or for refreshment breaks.
Winter, of course, means sampling snow activities. Besides cross-country skiing and snowmobiling, you can snowshoe on the delightfully uncrowded trails in the area. The Historical Society also hosts an annual Christmas Open House Tour and Christmas Tea the first weekend in December. Come and sample the fun!