"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Monday, May 4th, 2015
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 7:42:01, May 4th 2015 - amazed - Many people have detractors who try to make them look foolish in the eyes of ... [Read More]
- 7:34:22, May 4th 2015 - Hawkeye63 - Chemical abuse is bad whatever the substance. The abuser risks the ruin of ... [Read More]
- 11:14:38, May 3rd 2015 - Noodle - If someone is getting high before or while at work, that is just as bad as ... [Read More]
- 7:32:51, May 1st 2015 - Livin' The Dream - Working with alcoholics is way worse than marijuana users in my opi ... [Read More]
- 6:28:53, May 1st 2015 - hawkeye63 - Well Herb, if you think I am mistaken in my beliefs, tell us what happened ... [Read More]
- 3:34:46, May 1st 2015 - No need to be so desperate - Mr Panko, don't let these people get to you. When you st ... [Read More]
- 3:20:36, May 1st 2015 - - To herb, You can turn it around however you want, whatever makes you feel bette ... [Read More]
- 2:48:41, May 1st 2015 - Herb - To Hawkeye63: I wonder if you have any idea how wacky, exaggerated, extremist, ... [Read More]
- 2:22:23, May 1st 2015 - VikeFan 1 - To Kim Wenworth: What? You don't know what people are referring to in e ... [Read More]
- 1:54:39, May 1st 2015 - Herb - To Says: You said I switched from "the ammo is armor piercing" to "the ammo ... [Read More]
Mon, Oct 25th, 2010
Posted in Faith & Worship
Posted in Faith & Worship
"'When will the New Moon be over that we may sell grain, and the Sabbath be ended that we may market wheat?'- skimping the measure, boosting the price and cheating with dishonest scales, buying the poor with silver and the needy for a pair of sandals, selling even the sweepings with the wheat. The LORD has sworn by the Pride of Jacob: 'I will never forget anything they have done.'" Amos 8:5-7 NIV
Can you remember a time when most of the stores stayed closed on Sunday out of respect for family worship time? There was a time when you had to remember to fill up on Saturday because the full service gas station would be closed when you wanted to take your Sunday trip. Do you remember a time when people were proud of the "Made in America" on goods because they were good quality? There were small appliance repair shops because it was worth getting an item fixed rather than replaced.
Times have changed and the words of the prophet Amos sound like the kind of society we have become. Even religion for some has become nothing more than moving in the right circles, buying respectability, and assuring that if there is a God ,they will be found acceptable because they made donations. If the church service is too long, people complain. They have more important things to do.
The actions of the nation of Israel were remembered by God. When the time came, the nation was utterly destroyed by their enemies and all they treasured was lost.
The good news for us is that God can forget. Jesus blocks the memories of our sins so that God can say, "I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more (Hebrews 8:12 NIV)." I think it is time for us to remember. See you in church!