"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Tuesday, May 24th, 2016
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 1:43:25, May 24th 2016 - Cervidae - In my husband's defense, he is the most unselfish person I know and anyon ... [Read More]
- 4:29:20, May 23rd 2016 - - His house and all his surrounding land is for sale, yet he's not going to move and ... [Read More]
- 11:16:49, May 23rd 2016 - Paul - Well read does not mean only reading books that you find that are in-line wit ... [Read More]
- 9:55:22, May 21st 2016 - Aaron Swartzentruber - You have said it very well. I, too, believe most of America is ... [Read More]
- 10:47:20, May 18th 2016 - Paul - You ask a legitimate question and one we as a country need to address with ot ... [Read More]
- 12:57:18, May 18th 2016 - Combat Veteran (Derek) - @ Paul: I agree with 100% with what you said there, asking ... [Read More]
- 10:52:23, May 17th 2016 - Paul - Obviously the commandment to love one another is not so straight forward. You ... [Read More]
- 2:59:13, May 17th 2016 - Andy OConnor - @SV Resident...I think you nailed the crux of the situation in a coupl ... [Read More]
- 2:16:26, May 17th 2016 - Corrupt - Amazes me what Wykoff continues to do. Guess who just got hired by the Cit ... [Read More]
- 11:34:56, May 16th 2016 - Paul Little - Derek, Refugees should be vetted properly, the process should take as ... [Read More]
Mon, Oct 25th, 2010
Posted in Faith & Worship
Posted in Faith & Worship
"'When will the New Moon be over that we may sell grain, and the Sabbath be ended that we may market wheat?'- skimping the measure, boosting the price and cheating with dishonest scales, buying the poor with silver and the needy for a pair of sandals, selling even the sweepings with the wheat. The LORD has sworn by the Pride of Jacob: 'I will never forget anything they have done.'" Amos 8:5-7 NIV
Can you remember a time when most of the stores stayed closed on Sunday out of respect for family worship time? There was a time when you had to remember to fill up on Saturday because the full service gas station would be closed when you wanted to take your Sunday trip. Do you remember a time when people were proud of the "Made in America" on goods because they were good quality? There were small appliance repair shops because it was worth getting an item fixed rather than replaced.
Times have changed and the words of the prophet Amos sound like the kind of society we have become. Even religion for some has become nothing more than moving in the right circles, buying respectability, and assuring that if there is a God ,they will be found acceptable because they made donations. If the church service is too long, people complain. They have more important things to do.
The actions of the nation of Israel were remembered by God. When the time came, the nation was utterly destroyed by their enemies and all they treasured was lost.
The good news for us is that God can forget. Jesus blocks the memories of our sins so that God can say, "I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more (Hebrews 8:12 NIV)." I think it is time for us to remember. See you in church!