"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Friday, May 22nd, 2015
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 4:56:30, May 22nd 2015 - Shame on you - "A gun is an instrument of death. It is designed for one purpose, to k ... [Read More]
- 1:35:20, May 22nd 2015 - Michael - As a Navy veteran I salute Ron Scheevel for his service and sacrifice in Vi ... [Read More]
- 12:48:16, May 22nd 2015 - Kim Wentworth - a couple of points in response. the NRA has had a long history in gu ... [Read More]
- 11:57:35, May 22nd 2015 - RogerClegg - Re felon voting: Glad this bill failed. If you aren’t willing to fo ... [Read More]
- 12:15:00, May 20th 2015 - Shorty - Makes me feel pretty old when I read about people I knew. I would like to ... [Read More]
- 11:34:36, May 20th 2015 - SV80 - To Future: I can empathize with your regarding Hawkeye63. He exhibits all t ... [Read More]
- 12:49:06, May 19th 2015 - future - @Hawkeye63 My entire argument has been based on legal civil rights argument ... [Read More]
- 7:22:50, May 19th 2015 - hawkeye63 - There you have it fellow citizens, I sure hope America is paying attentio ... [Read More]
- 6:06:44, May 18th 2015 - Redhorse51 - Thank you for a great read. Like an addicting mini-series, I could not ... [Read More]
- 7:26:03, May 17th 2015 - future - @Hawkeye63 I'm going to address your post per sentence to make it clearer ... [Read More]
Tue, Dec 6th, 2011
Posted in Business Announcements
Posted in Business Announcements
MINNEAPOLIS (Dec. 5, 2011) - For the seventh straight year, Thrivent Financial for Lutherans is committing millions to stabilize, strengthen and secure communities by creating affordable housing in partnership with low-income families through its unique partnership called Thrivent Builds with Habitat for Humanity.
Thrivent Financial for Lutherans announced that in 2012 it will fund the construction and rehabilitation of 142 Habitat for Humanity homes in 32 U.S. states through a $9.2 million contribution. Thrivent Financial's total seven-year support of Habitat for Humanity, helping families achieve the dream of homeownership, will surpass $160 million in 2012.
Habitat for Humanity's relationship with Thrivent Financial brings the financial, volunteer and advocacy resources of Thrivent Financial together with the affordable housing construction leadership of hundreds of local Habitat for Humanity affiliates. To date, more than 480,000 volunteers have donated more than three million hours to construct 1,600 homes in the U.S.
"Thrivent Builds lets you see family life from a different perspective," said Brad Hewitt, president and CEO of Thrivent Financial. "It gives volunteers an amazing opportunity to live generously, to reflect, to grow and to be a part of something that truly changes lives."
When Ka Youa Yang partnered with Thrivent Builds on a home being built as part of Habitat's Jimmy Carter Work Project in St. Paul, Minn., her life changed. "I just couldn't believe it," she said. "I kept saying 'I'm so lucky! I'm so happy!' I called everyone I knew."
Yang, her children and her nephew have moved into their new home and are now financially secure enough for her to begin saving for her children's education.
The Thrivent Builds Worldwide program of the partnership gives Thrivent Financial members and other volunteers an opportunity to build homes abroad or in the United States. During the past six years, approximately 5,800 volunteers forming 540 different teams traveled to build more than 1,000 homes in 33 countries through Thrivent Builds Worldwide.
"We are so grateful to all those at Thrivent Financial who share our desire to make a difference in the lives of families and communities," said Jonathan Reckford, CEO of Habitat for Humanity International. "We have worked together in Chile and El Salvador, in Poland and South Africa and from the North Woods of Minnesota to the Gulf Coast in the United States and beyond. Having Thrivent Financial as a partner has made Habitat a better organization."
Thrivent Builds with Habitat for Humanity is a multi-year, multi-million dollar partnership between Thrivent Financial for Lutherans and Habitat for Humanity International. Thrivent Builds is designed to involve Thrivent members and Lutherans in helping provide a "hand up" to people in need of affordable housing, offering them a path to greater economic independence. Excluding government funding, Thrivent Builds with Habitat for Humanity is Habitat's largest single source of funding, constructing more than 2,700 homes in the U.S. and around the world since 2005. For more information, visit ThriventBuilds.com.
About Thrivent Financial for Lutherans
Thrivent Financial for Lutherans is a not-for-profit, Fortune 500 financial services membership organization helping approximately 2.5 million members achieve financial security and give back to their communities. Thrivent Financial and its affiliates offer a broad range of financial products and services. As a not-for-profit organization, Thrivent Financial creates and supports national outreach programs and activities that help congregations, schools, charitable organizations and individuals in need. For more information, visit Thrivent.com. Also, you can find us on Facebook and Twitter.
Habitat for Humanity International is a global nonprofit Christian housing organization that seeks to put God's love into action by bringing people together to build homes, communities and hope. Since 1976, Habitat has served more than 500,000 families by welcoming people of all races, religions and nationalities to construct, rehabilitate or preserve homes; by advocating for fair and just housing policies; and by providing training and access to resources to help families improve their shelter conditions. For more information, to donate or to volunteer, please visit www.habitat.org, or follow us at www.facebook.com/habitat or at www.twitter.com/habitat_org or join Habitat's blog community at www.habitat.org/blog.