"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Thursday, June 30th, 2016
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 3:25:31, Jun 29th 2016 - Paul Little - Thanks for the input Derek. I was going to respond and but you said it ... [Read More]
- 12:04:41, Jun 29th 2016 - Derek Stevens - @Redhorse51: Seems to me you are the hypocrite, to berate someone on ... [Read More]
- 2:18:50, Jun 27th 2016 - PLEASE - PLEASE Kingsland district, take a look at what this commentary points and ou ... [Read More]
- 5:54:18, Jun 25th 2016 - Redhorse51 - Yes Ann, we all know that Sharon Roppes was instrumental in the Veteran ... [Read More]
- 10:55:08, Jun 24th 2016 - dianagoguen - Hello, Is there a place to access obituaries from previous years? ... [Read More]
- 3:45:08, Jun 22nd 2016 - SEMN - With all the people that will be flocking to town to have their kids attend sc ... [Read More]
- 3:44:45, Jun 22nd 2016 - Andy O'Connor - Agree to disagree Stan, we'll likely never see eye to eye on this iss ... [Read More]
- 3:23:28, Jun 22nd 2016 - SEMN - #sickofitall...do yourself a favor and get your dictionary out and look up " i ... [Read More]
- 3:15:56, Jun 22nd 2016 - #sickofitall - Palacek easement never was useable. He got to his property, with permi ... [Read More]
- 2:56:30, Jun 22nd 2016 - disgusted - There are a couple of issues here to be addressed The first one is the ... [Read More]
Fri, Jan 14th, 2011
Posted in Journal Student Writing Project
Posted in Journal Student Writing Project
Strike! Double! Turkey! These are a few terms used in bowling. It is when you bowl one, two, or three strikes in a row. Bowling is a fun game/sport that anyone can play. It's also a great thing to do with friends.
I have grown up around bowling. My dad bowled on a league before I was born and still does. I started bowling when I was about six years old.
I love bowling because it is another thing that I can do with my dad. When I started to bowl more, I was able to get my own shoes and my own bowling ball. As I got older, I started to bowl in a youth league. A few years went by and I outgrew my bowling ball. I had to get a heavier ball. It's always hard to get used to a new bowling ball because it reacts differently than the old one.
The older I got the more I started to practice. I then went to a bowling ball with finger tip grips. Let me tell you, that was extremely hard to get use to. I realized that you could hit the pocket more accurately when using a finger tip ball.
Five years ago I started to bowl on a high school bowling team. Everyone on the team was young so we didn't do very well. Two years ago we had a better team and actually were able to complete with the other teams. But we still fell short and lost in conference play. This last fall we had a team of just girls. Some of the other teams thought that they would win easily, but we girls put up a fight. We were able to compete with the boys and surprised them by winning some of the matches. One of my teammates was honored by making the All-Conference team and competing at the state tournament. To accomplish this she needed to finish as one of the top eight bowlers in our conference. I was lucky enough to finish eleventh in the conference this year. Another teammate and I were also named to the Honorable Mention All -Conference Team. We are currently getting ready to compete in an all-girls league . Our team will be made up of girls from Fillmore Central, Mabel-Canton and Rushford schools. This was all made possible with the help of the B&B Bowl and the volunteer coaches throughout the years.
Throughout bowling I have made a lot of new friends. I continue to talk to them. Many of them are from other towns. This made bowling very special to me. Some will still be bowling next year and I will go watch my former teammates and my new friends that I have made.
Some people say bowling isn't a sport, but to me it is because it takes practice, practice and more practice. It can be an individual sport or a team sport. As a member of the bowling league you can win scholarships and travel to other cities and possibly other states. I will always remember the fun I have had bowling and hope to make more memories by joining an adult league after high school.
Ashley Olson is a student at Fillmore Central High School. She is one of 10 area students participating in the Journal Writing Project, now in its twelfth year.