"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Thursday, July 2nd, 2015
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 5:36:12, Jul 1st 2015 - - And on the News they show the female pitcher hits the girl up at bat. Lol668 ... [Read More]
- 2:59:22, Jun 28th 2015 - livin' the dream - 1. Ordered all federal agencies to undertake a study and make reco ... [Read More]
- 9:36:21, Jun 27th 2015 - SV80 - To Jeez: Anybody who denies global warming or any other scientific propositio ... [Read More]
- 5:41:48, Jun 26th 2015 - Remark1976 - Maybe? Do you realize that when a building referendum for a new scho ... [Read More]
- 2:35:48, Jun 26th 2015 - Jeez - "Let's say that you receive a diagnosis from nine different oncologists (cance ... [Read More]
- 2:33:37, Jun 26th 2015 - Jeez - "Let's say that you receive a diagnosis from nine different oncologists (cance ... [Read More]
- 1:26:30, Jun 26th 2015 - Kim Wentworth - @ grehl- all you libs talk and talk about gun control and taking and ... [Read More]
- 12:37:22, Jun 26th 2015 - Kim Wentworth - @ SV80- 1) the whole idea of a set in stone time table is silly, acc ... [Read More]
- 10:30:23, Jun 26th 2015 - SV80 - Kim Wentworth: Let's take your points one by one. (1) "you set your foreig ... [Read More]
- 9:49:35, Jun 26th 2015 - SV80 - Well said, LOLZ ... [Read More]
Do you text & drive?
Fri, Jan 14th, 2011
Posted in Journal Student Writing Project
Posted in Journal Student Writing Project
Strike! Double! Turkey! These are a few terms used in bowling. It is when you bowl one, two, or three strikes in a row. Bowling is a fun game/sport that anyone can play. It's also a great thing to do with friends.
I have grown up around bowling. My dad bowled on a league before I was born and still does. I started bowling when I was about six years old.
I love bowling because it is another thing that I can do with my dad. When I started to bowl more, I was able to get my own shoes and my own bowling ball. As I got older, I started to bowl in a youth league. A few years went by and I outgrew my bowling ball. I had to get a heavier ball. It's always hard to get used to a new bowling ball because it reacts differently than the old one.
The older I got the more I started to practice. I then went to a bowling ball with finger tip grips. Let me tell you, that was extremely hard to get use to. I realized that you could hit the pocket more accurately when using a finger tip ball.
Five years ago I started to bowl on a high school bowling team. Everyone on the team was young so we didn't do very well. Two years ago we had a better team and actually were able to complete with the other teams. But we still fell short and lost in conference play. This last fall we had a team of just girls. Some of the other teams thought that they would win easily, but we girls put up a fight. We were able to compete with the boys and surprised them by winning some of the matches. One of my teammates was honored by making the All-Conference team and competing at the state tournament. To accomplish this she needed to finish as one of the top eight bowlers in our conference. I was lucky enough to finish eleventh in the conference this year. Another teammate and I were also named to the Honorable Mention All -Conference Team. We are currently getting ready to compete in an all-girls league . Our team will be made up of girls from Fillmore Central, Mabel-Canton and Rushford schools. This was all made possible with the help of the B&B Bowl and the volunteer coaches throughout the years.
Throughout bowling I have made a lot of new friends. I continue to talk to them. Many of them are from other towns. This made bowling very special to me. Some will still be bowling next year and I will go watch my former teammates and my new friends that I have made.
Some people say bowling isn't a sport, but to me it is because it takes practice, practice and more practice. It can be an individual sport or a team sport. As a member of the bowling league you can win scholarships and travel to other cities and possibly other states. I will always remember the fun I have had bowling and hope to make more memories by joining an adult league after high school.
Ashley Olson is a student at Fillmore Central High School. She is one of 10 area students participating in the Journal Writing Project, now in its twelfth year.