"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Saturday, August 30th, 2014
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 5:25:09, Aug 27th 2014 - hawkeyejay - Hank, I wouldn't bet your pension or SS check on ACA being cast in stone ... [Read More]
- 5:10:18, Aug 27th 2014 - hawkeyejay - Just like Yvonne to trot out the " Republican War On Women" routine. I g ... [Read More]
- 7:33:35, Aug 27th 2014 - KingslandGrad95 - wtf, why did you make that comment on a story regarding high school ... [Read More]
- 11:00:14, Aug 25th 2014 - wtf - Your article on Preston fastpitch wins big. The under 15 age takes 2nd.. There ... [Read More]
- 8:52:32, Aug 25th 2014 - Rae - I wish that you had included Stab from TJ's Liquor in your article. Stab has b ... [Read More]
- 10:32:36, Aug 22nd 2014 - Mad Mike - Doc, how do you get any truth or facts with the current set up that this ... [Read More]
- 9:31:25, Aug 22nd 2014 - KingslandGrad95 - doc, You mentioned that "Republicans want the truth, they just ... [Read More]
- 8:00:02, Aug 19th 2014 - doc - Republicans want the truth, they just don't like facts. ... [Read More]
- 7:58:04, Aug 19th 2014 - doc - Gas prices were $4.25 the last summer that GWB was in office. ... [Read More]
- 4:40:55, Aug 19th 2014 - dave - Gas prices were $1.79 a gallon when GWB left office ... [Read More]
Which school facilities in our area do you feel demonstrate the highest level of security for students and faculty?
Fri, Jan 14th, 2011
Posted in Journal Student Writing Project
Posted in Journal Student Writing Project
Strike! Double! Turkey! These are a few terms used in bowling. It is when you bowl one, two, or three strikes in a row. Bowling is a fun game/sport that anyone can play. It's also a great thing to do with friends.
I have grown up around bowling. My dad bowled on a league before I was born and still does. I started bowling when I was about six years old.
I love bowling because it is another thing that I can do with my dad. When I started to bowl more, I was able to get my own shoes and my own bowling ball. As I got older, I started to bowl in a youth league. A few years went by and I outgrew my bowling ball. I had to get a heavier ball. It's always hard to get used to a new bowling ball because it reacts differently than the old one.
The older I got the more I started to practice. I then went to a bowling ball with finger tip grips. Let me tell you, that was extremely hard to get use to. I realized that you could hit the pocket more accurately when using a finger tip ball.
Five years ago I started to bowl on a high school bowling team. Everyone on the team was young so we didn't do very well. Two years ago we had a better team and actually were able to complete with the other teams. But we still fell short and lost in conference play. This last fall we had a team of just girls. Some of the other teams thought that they would win easily, but we girls put up a fight. We were able to compete with the boys and surprised them by winning some of the matches. One of my teammates was honored by making the All-Conference team and competing at the state tournament. To accomplish this she needed to finish as one of the top eight bowlers in our conference. I was lucky enough to finish eleventh in the conference this year. Another teammate and I were also named to the Honorable Mention All -Conference Team. We are currently getting ready to compete in an all-girls league . Our team will be made up of girls from Fillmore Central, Mabel-Canton and Rushford schools. This was all made possible with the help of the B&B Bowl and the volunteer coaches throughout the years.
Throughout bowling I have made a lot of new friends. I continue to talk to them. Many of them are from other towns. This made bowling very special to me. Some will still be bowling next year and I will go watch my former teammates and my new friends that I have made.
Some people say bowling isn't a sport, but to me it is because it takes practice, practice and more practice. It can be an individual sport or a team sport. As a member of the bowling league you can win scholarships and travel to other cities and possibly other states. I will always remember the fun I have had bowling and hope to make more memories by joining an adult league after high school.
Ashley Olson is a student at Fillmore Central High School. She is one of 10 area students participating in the Journal Writing Project, now in its twelfth year.