"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Saturday, October 10th, 2015
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 12:39:52, Oct 9th 2015 - KingslandGrad95 - As someone who was a student at Kingsland from it's beginning, pare ... [Read More]
- 11:23:47, Oct 9th 2015 - Go Falcons!! - I'd like to give a huge shout out to Fillmore Centrals Volleyball coac ... [Read More]
- 9:10:55, Oct 7th 2015 - @ Concerned - I have wondered about this too. Most of the Wykoff kids don't even go t ... [Read More]
- 2:53:37, Oct 6th 2015 - Concerned - Has the school board & administration ever checked into why so many studen ... [Read More]
- 9:58:41, Oct 6th 2015 - - Why don't you run for school board, SomethingNeedsToBeDone? Write-in candidates we ... [Read More]
- 2:05:39, Oct 5th 2015 - Paul - The Quaran does not tell Muslims to kill non-muslims. In fact it says Muslims a ... [Read More]
- 1:01:48, Oct 5th 2015 - GoldenRule - Let us be mindful of the Golden Rule and how we treat others. Be careful ... [Read More]
- 11:32:26, Oct 5th 2015 - SomethingNeedsToBeDone - Are people blind?? How can they continue to use a facility ... [Read More]
- 11:23:54, Oct 5th 2015 - James1952 - Pig poker- what did you crybaby vote yes losers do both times you lost th ... [Read More]
- 10:51:29, Oct 5th 2015 - Pig poker - We all know why Jon Peterson doesn't want the school, he's mad because he ... [Read More]
Fri, Jan 14th, 2011
Posted in Journal Student Writing Project
Posted in Journal Student Writing Project
Strike! Double! Turkey! These are a few terms used in bowling. It is when you bowl one, two, or three strikes in a row. Bowling is a fun game/sport that anyone can play. It's also a great thing to do with friends.
I have grown up around bowling. My dad bowled on a league before I was born and still does. I started bowling when I was about six years old.
I love bowling because it is another thing that I can do with my dad. When I started to bowl more, I was able to get my own shoes and my own bowling ball. As I got older, I started to bowl in a youth league. A few years went by and I outgrew my bowling ball. I had to get a heavier ball. It's always hard to get used to a new bowling ball because it reacts differently than the old one.
The older I got the more I started to practice. I then went to a bowling ball with finger tip grips. Let me tell you, that was extremely hard to get use to. I realized that you could hit the pocket more accurately when using a finger tip ball.
Five years ago I started to bowl on a high school bowling team. Everyone on the team was young so we didn't do very well. Two years ago we had a better team and actually were able to complete with the other teams. But we still fell short and lost in conference play. This last fall we had a team of just girls. Some of the other teams thought that they would win easily, but we girls put up a fight. We were able to compete with the boys and surprised them by winning some of the matches. One of my teammates was honored by making the All-Conference team and competing at the state tournament. To accomplish this she needed to finish as one of the top eight bowlers in our conference. I was lucky enough to finish eleventh in the conference this year. Another teammate and I were also named to the Honorable Mention All -Conference Team. We are currently getting ready to compete in an all-girls league . Our team will be made up of girls from Fillmore Central, Mabel-Canton and Rushford schools. This was all made possible with the help of the B&B Bowl and the volunteer coaches throughout the years.
Throughout bowling I have made a lot of new friends. I continue to talk to them. Many of them are from other towns. This made bowling very special to me. Some will still be bowling next year and I will go watch my former teammates and my new friends that I have made.
Some people say bowling isn't a sport, but to me it is because it takes practice, practice and more practice. It can be an individual sport or a team sport. As a member of the bowling league you can win scholarships and travel to other cities and possibly other states. I will always remember the fun I have had bowling and hope to make more memories by joining an adult league after high school.
Ashley Olson is a student at Fillmore Central High School. She is one of 10 area students participating in the Journal Writing Project, now in its twelfth year.