"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Tuesday, May 5th, 2015
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 4:31:29, May 5th 2015 - what? - What about electric scooters? There is a grade school kid in harmony riding on ... [Read More]
- 4:24:55, May 5th 2015 - what? - The mayor's in small towns don't wear suits...it's a part time job! They don' ... [Read More]
- 6:54:57, May 4th 2015 - LOLZ - So what's up with the hoodie? Was it casual Friday? ... [Read More]
- 7:42:01, May 4th 2015 - amazed - Many people have detractors who try to make them look foolish in the eyes of ... [Read More]
- 7:34:22, May 4th 2015 - Hawkeye63 - Chemical abuse is bad whatever the substance. The abuser risks the ruin of ... [Read More]
- 11:14:38, May 3rd 2015 - Noodle - If someone is getting high before or while at work, that is just as bad as ... [Read More]
- 7:32:51, May 1st 2015 - Livin' The Dream - Working with alcoholics is way worse than marijuana users in my opi ... [Read More]
- 6:28:53, May 1st 2015 - hawkeye63 - Well Herb, if you think I am mistaken in my beliefs, tell us what happened ... [Read More]
- 3:34:46, May 1st 2015 - No need to be so desperate - Mr Panko, don't let these people get to you. When you st ... [Read More]
- 3:20:36, May 1st 2015 - - To herb, You can turn it around however you want, whatever makes you feel bette ... [Read More]
Thu, Jan 26th, 2012
Posted in All Progress Edition
Posted in All Progress Edition
Although no major changes happened in 2010 for Ostrander, Mayor Linda Schwenn is looking for some small changes to help make a difference in 2011.
As with most small towns in the United States, Ostrander has taken a small hit by the weak economy. With the closing of their little grocery store this year, Schwenn said she hopes that something could open in Ostrander in terms of a grocery store or gas station. "Even if we have credit card pumps it would be nice," Schwenn said. "It gets to be a hassle sometimes when you have to travel outside of town to towns like Spring Valley just to get gas."
Another area Ostrander hopes to improve on is the housing market. Schwenn said there are a few empty lots in town but what they really need is some new housing. "It would be nice if we could get some new housing into town as most of the houses are full in town. We really need some new housing development in town," Schwenn said.
And of course, like several small towns in the area, more volunteers are always needed. Schwenn stressed the importance of volunteers making the community go-round. "We could use some volunteers to be members of the Lion's Club and even for the first responders and fire department," Schween said. "It's so hard when it's always the same people volunteering for everything. You just get burnt out."
Schwenn also mentioned the idea of having another town celebration in the future. "It basically comes down to volunteers again," Schwenn said. "We would love to have another round of Uff Da Days but we need volunteers to help pull it off."
One new development in the past few years in terms of business growth, was the construction of the new main office for the Ostrander Farmer's Co-op Elevator. "We have a great elevator in town and that helps a lot," Shwenn said.
A new exciting thing you can look for in the future is the new website that is currently being constructed by SMG Web Design of Preston. Ostrander will be keeping up with the times with a brand new website that will help inform its citizens and new visitors about Ostrander and its businesses and communities.
Although it's a small community, Ostrander has a lot to look forward to in the future. Communities like Ostrander, although small, help make Fillmore County a great county to live in.