"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Sunday, May 3rd, 2015
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 7:32:51, May 1st 2015 - Livin' The Dream - Working with alcoholics is way worse than marijuana users in my opi ... [Read More]
- 6:28:53, May 1st 2015 - hawkeye63 - Well Herb, if you think I am mistaken in my beliefs, tell us what happened ... [Read More]
- 3:34:46, May 1st 2015 - No need to be so desperate - Mr Panko, don't let these people get to you. When you st ... [Read More]
- 3:20:36, May 1st 2015 - - To herb, You can turn it around however you want, whatever makes you feel bette ... [Read More]
- 2:48:41, May 1st 2015 - Herb - To Hawkeye63: I wonder if you have any idea how wacky, exaggerated, extremist, ... [Read More]
- 2:22:23, May 1st 2015 - VikeFan 1 - To Kim Wenworth: What? You don't know what people are referring to in e ... [Read More]
- 1:54:39, May 1st 2015 - Herb - To Says: You said I switched from "the ammo is armor piercing" to "the ammo ... [Read More]
- 9:40:56, May 1st 2015 - LOLZ - Boozers are losers. ... [Read More]
- 9:20:46, May 1st 2015 - To Herb - This is what you said. "The ammo he is referring to is armor- piercing am ... [Read More]
- 5:39:46, May 1st 2015 - lol - . Did u know a Fillmore central student got busted for doing meth in the bathroo ... [Read More]
Fri, Jan 28th, 2011
Posted in Sports
Posted in Sports
Following the thrilling victories in the AFC/NFC Championship games, two of the NFL's most storied franchises will meet in the Super Bowl. Between these two teams, they have 11 Super Bowl appearances (7 for Steelers, and 4 for Packers) with 9 wins (6 for Steelers, 3 for Packers). The Steelers are the record holder for Super Bowl wins, and will look to add to that number February 6, 2011.
The last time the Packers were in the Super Bowl was in 1997, where they lost to the Denver Broncos 31-24. In that game, the Packers were favored by 11 points. Brett Favre threw for 256 yards, 3 touchdowns, and 1 interception. Most games that season Favre's stats would have been more than enough, but the Broncos' Running Back Terrell Davis ran for 157 yards and 3 touchdowns. That game was the last game Denver great John Elway ever played, he finished with just an anemic 123 yards passing, 0 touchdowns, and 1 interception, but he did have 17 yards rushing and one rushing TD. Obviously, times have changed since 1997 with everyone on those two teams now retired (in case you didn't know Favre retired.......again). The Packers' team, for the 2010 season, wins with a stout defense, and a quick strike offense. They rush the passer and defend the pass as well as any team in the league. Although, they didn't have it during the season, their running game has caught fire in the postseason. And, like their last Super Bowl appearance they are favored to win it all.
The last time the Steelers were in the Super Bowl was 2009, where they beat the Arizona Cardinals 27-23, in what was easily the best Super Bowl game of the decade. With the Steelers leading 20-7 late in the third quarter, the Cardinals mounted a furious comeback. After a beautiful 64 yard catch and run by star receiver Larry Fitzgerald, the Cardinals found themselves in the lead 23-20 with 2:30 left to play. The Steelers started their ensuing drive on their own 12 yard line. That is when possible the most clutch quarterback in the NFL stepped up and moved his team right down the field with an impressive 4 of 6 passing that included a 40 yard completion to Santonio Holmes. With 49 seconds to play first and goal on the 6, Roethlisberger threw a perfect pass right through the hands of Holmes in the end zone. On the very next play, with 35 seconds left Roethlisberger hit Holmes in the back corner of the end zone, on a pass that zoomed by three Arizona defenders. It was an amazing catch, and was listed in the top 10 catches ever. At the end of the game, Roethlisberger admitted, "I thought it was going to be picked [intercepted] when I threw it."
This game promises to be one of the greatest games in Super Bowl history. The Steelers have a serious problem protecting the passer, and that is made worse by the injury to star center, Maurkice Pouncey. He says he will play, but you can bet Dom Capers , defensive coordinator of the Packers, will have plenty of plays that will attack the middle of the Steelers' line. The Packers own an advantage on offense as well. The Steelers' pass defense has been suspect all season. I am picking the Packers to win, but I would not be surprised of Roethlisberger leads another late game winning drive. I can't wait.
If you have something regarding sports that you would like to know about, a comment about a previous column, or a local player you feel deserves recognition, feel free to email me: email@example.com