"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Saturday, July 23rd, 2016
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 12:18:31, Jul 22nd 2016 - SV85 - @left luvr I am amazed at your seeming inability (or refusal) to distinguis ... [Read More]
- 9:40:07, Jul 21st 2016 - left luvr - @sv85 Susan Coleman, Danny Cassoloro, John Wilson, Gandy Baugh, Calvin Wa ... [Read More]
- 7:38:38, Jul 21st 2016 - Herb - Jason, I feel your pain and disgust. I do this on a regular basis on a highwa ... [Read More]
- 7:26:36, Jul 21st 2016 - SV85 - @left luvr I can't tell you how disppointed I am in your response. In your f ... [Read More]
- 4:06:21, Jul 21st 2016 - left luvr - @sv85 Thank you for you response. I do use email at work that contains se ... [Read More]
- 3:50:03, Jul 21st 2016 - SV85 - @ Seriously This is only a guess, but I'm assuming Mr. Panko would say "yes" ... [Read More]
- 3:48:22, Jul 21st 2016 - SV85 - @ Seriously This is only a guess, but I'm assuming Mr. Panko would say "yes" ... [Read More]
- 3:34:34, Jul 21st 2016 - VikeFan1 - @Wentworth As usual your post contains only babble with no facts and no p ... [Read More]
- 3:19:02, Jul 21st 2016 - SV85 - @leftluvr and former left winger Before you weigh in on commentaries like th ... [Read More]
- 3:12:00, Jul 21st 2016 - seriously? - @herb, If you are correct and unbiased that would mean if Condoleezza Ri ... [Read More]
Fri, Jan 28th, 2011
Posted in Sports
Posted in Sports
Following the thrilling victories in the AFC/NFC Championship games, two of the NFL's most storied franchises will meet in the Super Bowl. Between these two teams, they have 11 Super Bowl appearances (7 for Steelers, and 4 for Packers) with 9 wins (6 for Steelers, 3 for Packers). The Steelers are the record holder for Super Bowl wins, and will look to add to that number February 6, 2011.
The last time the Packers were in the Super Bowl was in 1997, where they lost to the Denver Broncos 31-24. In that game, the Packers were favored by 11 points. Brett Favre threw for 256 yards, 3 touchdowns, and 1 interception. Most games that season Favre's stats would have been more than enough, but the Broncos' Running Back Terrell Davis ran for 157 yards and 3 touchdowns. That game was the last game Denver great John Elway ever played, he finished with just an anemic 123 yards passing, 0 touchdowns, and 1 interception, but he did have 17 yards rushing and one rushing TD. Obviously, times have changed since 1997 with everyone on those two teams now retired (in case you didn't know Favre retired.......again). The Packers' team, for the 2010 season, wins with a stout defense, and a quick strike offense. They rush the passer and defend the pass as well as any team in the league. Although, they didn't have it during the season, their running game has caught fire in the postseason. And, like their last Super Bowl appearance they are favored to win it all.
The last time the Steelers were in the Super Bowl was 2009, where they beat the Arizona Cardinals 27-23, in what was easily the best Super Bowl game of the decade. With the Steelers leading 20-7 late in the third quarter, the Cardinals mounted a furious comeback. After a beautiful 64 yard catch and run by star receiver Larry Fitzgerald, the Cardinals found themselves in the lead 23-20 with 2:30 left to play. The Steelers started their ensuing drive on their own 12 yard line. That is when possible the most clutch quarterback in the NFL stepped up and moved his team right down the field with an impressive 4 of 6 passing that included a 40 yard completion to Santonio Holmes. With 49 seconds to play first and goal on the 6, Roethlisberger threw a perfect pass right through the hands of Holmes in the end zone. On the very next play, with 35 seconds left Roethlisberger hit Holmes in the back corner of the end zone, on a pass that zoomed by three Arizona defenders. It was an amazing catch, and was listed in the top 10 catches ever. At the end of the game, Roethlisberger admitted, "I thought it was going to be picked [intercepted] when I threw it."
This game promises to be one of the greatest games in Super Bowl history. The Steelers have a serious problem protecting the passer, and that is made worse by the injury to star center, Maurkice Pouncey. He says he will play, but you can bet Dom Capers , defensive coordinator of the Packers, will have plenty of plays that will attack the middle of the Steelers' line. The Packers own an advantage on offense as well. The Steelers' pass defense has been suspect all season. I am picking the Packers to win, but I would not be surprised of Roethlisberger leads another late game winning drive. I can't wait.
If you have something regarding sports that you would like to know about, a comment about a previous column, or a local player you feel deserves recognition, feel free to email me: firstname.lastname@example.org