"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Friday, April 18th, 2014
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 10:55:36, Apr 3rd 2014 - Attendee - I do think the meeting went well in terms of sharing information. But also ... [Read More]
- 11:56:59, Apr 2nd 2014 - svtaxpayer - Start the meeting with the same old rehash about how great college class ... [Read More]
- 11:30:55, Mar 28th 2014 - RoryKramer - I couldn't have said it any better. My family has shopped at Willie's f ... [Read More]
- 8:44:51, Mar 26th 2014 - Gunnar Berg - Would that be Henrik's lessor known younger brother "Al"? ... [Read More]
- 1:21:46, Mar 23rd 2014 - REDHORSE51 - EXCELLENT COMMENTARY ON BULLYING, HOWEVER THE AUTHOR STILL SUPPORTS THE ... [Read More]
- 6:23:24, Mar 17th 2014 - about time - About time they start giving tickets to people who park where it days no ... [Read More]
- 5:51:04, Mar 17th 2014 - what? - I guess it depends who you are in this town. I called and talked to the city ... [Read More]
- 4:03:17, Mar 14th 2014 - - Looking for his mom and found this. Randy you will be greatly missed. I loved all ... [Read More]
- 10:21:04, Mar 14th 2014 - Doc - So many winners. ... [Read More]
- 8:58:49, Mar 10th 2014 - dan - Great letter Steve! That is attitude we should be taking, alternatives will be ... [Read More]
Do you think that chain stores in small communities undermine the sales of locally owned retailers?
Wed, Mar 2nd, 2011
Posted in Business Announcements
Posted in Business Announcements
MANKATO, MINN. (March 1, 2011) - Former Speaker of the Minnesota House of Representatives and Commissioner of the Department of Labor and Industry, Steve Sviggum has been appointed to the Board of Directors of AgStar Financial Services. He was appointed by the current Board to fill one of the outside director positions for a 1-year term.
Sviggum brings significant farming, policy and civic engagement experience to AgStar. Sviggum received the "Excellence in State Legislative Leadership Award" from the National Conference of State Legislatures in 2008 as recognition for his 28 years of service in the Minnesota House of Representatives, 8 of which were as Speaker of the House. He spent four more years in service to the state in the executive branch. Most recently, Sviggum was elected by the Joint House and Senate to the University of Minnesota's Board of Regents.
In addition to his elected and civic leadership, Sviggum is a life-long farmer who owns and operates a 1,400 acre farm in Kenyon, Minnesota with his two brothers. "Steve's background as a family farmer, policymaker and civic leader is a tremendous asset to AgStar and our mission," said Lowell Schafer, Chair, AgStar Financial Services Board of Directors. "AgStar is a community-based organization focused on creating more and better opportunities for farmers and rural communities and we know Steve will offer good ideas in helping us achieve that vision."
Sviggum has strong Minnesota roots. He is a graduate of St. Olaf College where he earned a bachelor's degree in mathematics. Before working with the government, he was a high school math teacher and coach. Sviggum and his wife, a teacher in Cannon Falls, live in Kenyon.
"In all aspects of my life and career, I have always been passionate about supporting agriculture and rural communities," said Steve Sviggum. "I'm pleased to join an organization like AgStar that shares my commitment to not only supporting the practice of farming but in finding ways to navigate the new demands of the agriculture industry and in helping rural communities thrive."
"As a board, we knew that Steve's experience and interest was a great fit for AgStar and how we plan to move the organization forward in the coming years," added Schafer.
AgStar Financial Services, ACA, headquartered in Mankato, Minn., employs 600 full-time team members. The company is part of the national Farm Credit System and has a public mission to serve 69 counties in Minnesota and northwest Wisconsin. AgStar's industry specialization, client segments and market delivery systems result in diversification nationwide. The company has expertise in the corn, soybean, swine, dairy and bio-energy industries. AgStar has developed successful programs in loans, leases, crop insurance, tax services, accounting, consulting and rural home mortgages. As a value-added financial services cooperative, AgStar allocates patronage dividends to its 13,000 stockholders. Visitwww.AgStar.com for more information.