"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Sunday, April 20th, 2014
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 4:25:14, Apr 18th 2014 - SignRancher - I can't wait to check it out ! My daughter, who lives in Rushford, can' ... [Read More]
- 10:55:36, Apr 3rd 2014 - Attendee - I do think the meeting went well in terms of sharing information. But also ... [Read More]
- 11:56:59, Apr 2nd 2014 - svtaxpayer - Start the meeting with the same old rehash about how great college class ... [Read More]
- 11:30:55, Mar 28th 2014 - RoryKramer - I couldn't have said it any better. My family has shopped at Willie's f ... [Read More]
- 8:44:51, Mar 26th 2014 - Gunnar Berg - Would that be Henrik's lessor known younger brother "Al"? ... [Read More]
- 1:21:46, Mar 23rd 2014 - REDHORSE51 - EXCELLENT COMMENTARY ON BULLYING, HOWEVER THE AUTHOR STILL SUPPORTS THE ... [Read More]
- 6:23:24, Mar 17th 2014 - about time - About time they start giving tickets to people who park where it days no ... [Read More]
- 5:51:04, Mar 17th 2014 - what? - I guess it depends who you are in this town. I called and talked to the city ... [Read More]
- 4:03:17, Mar 14th 2014 - - Looking for his mom and found this. Randy you will be greatly missed. I loved all ... [Read More]
- 10:21:04, Mar 14th 2014 - Doc - So many winners. ... [Read More]
Do you think that chain stores in small communities undermine the sales of locally owned retailers?
Mon, Sep 9th, 2002
Posted in Letter to the Editor
Posted in Letter to the Editor
On September 11 last year, we experienced a shock to our system. Why, we asked, would terrorists so hate the U.S. that they would commit suicide in order to kill thousands in the World Trade Tower and the Pentagon? Now, a year later, our President is telling us that the terrorist threat justifies a unilateral, pre-emptive attack on Iraq, against the advice of our allies, many top military advisors, former secretaries of state, and other experts. We need to ask our elected officials hard questions such as: will this action in fact make us more secure? Will the haters of America around the world be calmed, or will they be enraged and engaged by this action to further terrorist acts, as has been the case in Israel? What will be the cost of this action in American lives, in the lives of innocent Iraqi citizens, and in impacts on the American economy? Will travel become more or less secure? Throughout southeastern Minnesota, communities such as Rochester and Lanesboro have experienced a drop in tourism and economic activity due to travel fears and economic uncertainty.
Containment has been a viable policy towards the nuclear threat in North Korea. Given the constant flights over Iraq by the U.S. and Britain, and sophisticated surveillance of every Iraqi move, does it really seem possible that Saddam Hussein would be insane enough to use weapons of mass destruction against his neighbors? Does it seem credible that he could do this without our knowledge? We should pursue weapons inspections in Iraq. In an interdependent world, we should avoid taking actions alone. Decisions being made in Washington could have a dramatic effect on all our lives. Keep our democracy healthy by staying engaged with this issue and sharing your views with your elected officials. Martha Greenwald Lanesboro, MN