"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Wednesday, July 1st, 2015
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 2:59:22, Jun 28th 2015 - livin' the dream - 1. Ordered all federal agencies to undertake a study and make reco ... [Read More]
- 9:36:21, Jun 27th 2015 - SV80 - To Jeez: Anybody who denies global warming or any other scientific propositio ... [Read More]
- 5:41:48, Jun 26th 2015 - Remark1976 - Maybe? Do you realize that when a building referendum for a new scho ... [Read More]
- 2:35:48, Jun 26th 2015 - Jeez - "Let's say that you receive a diagnosis from nine different oncologists (cance ... [Read More]
- 2:33:37, Jun 26th 2015 - Jeez - "Let's say that you receive a diagnosis from nine different oncologists (cance ... [Read More]
- 1:26:30, Jun 26th 2015 - Kim Wentworth - @ grehl- all you libs talk and talk about gun control and taking and ... [Read More]
- 12:37:22, Jun 26th 2015 - Kim Wentworth - @ SV80- 1) the whole idea of a set in stone time table is silly, acc ... [Read More]
- 10:30:23, Jun 26th 2015 - SV80 - Kim Wentworth: Let's take your points one by one. (1) "you set your foreig ... [Read More]
- 9:49:35, Jun 26th 2015 - SV80 - Well said, LOLZ ... [Read More]
- 4:57:51, Jun 25th 2015 - james1952 - It seems to me that most of the folks that have made comments on the lett ... [Read More]
Do you text & drive?
Mon, Sep 9th, 2002
Posted in Letter to the Editor
Posted in Letter to the Editor
On September 11 last year, we experienced a shock to our system. Why, we asked, would terrorists so hate the U.S. that they would commit suicide in order to kill thousands in the World Trade Tower and the Pentagon? Now, a year later, our President is telling us that the terrorist threat justifies a unilateral, pre-emptive attack on Iraq, against the advice of our allies, many top military advisors, former secretaries of state, and other experts. We need to ask our elected officials hard questions such as: will this action in fact make us more secure? Will the haters of America around the world be calmed, or will they be enraged and engaged by this action to further terrorist acts, as has been the case in Israel? What will be the cost of this action in American lives, in the lives of innocent Iraqi citizens, and in impacts on the American economy? Will travel become more or less secure? Throughout southeastern Minnesota, communities such as Rochester and Lanesboro have experienced a drop in tourism and economic activity due to travel fears and economic uncertainty.
Containment has been a viable policy towards the nuclear threat in North Korea. Given the constant flights over Iraq by the U.S. and Britain, and sophisticated surveillance of every Iraqi move, does it really seem possible that Saddam Hussein would be insane enough to use weapons of mass destruction against his neighbors? Does it seem credible that he could do this without our knowledge? We should pursue weapons inspections in Iraq. In an interdependent world, we should avoid taking actions alone. Decisions being made in Washington could have a dramatic effect on all our lives. Keep our democracy healthy by staying engaged with this issue and sharing your views with your elected officials. Martha Greenwald Lanesboro, MN