"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Tuesday, September 30th, 2014
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 9:12:52, Sep 30th 2014 - Justthefacts - "open enrolled out" 1) WIth your username "open enrolled out" you ... [Read More]
- 6:24:43, Sep 30th 2014 - hawkeye62 - What we really need is a President with the will and experience to lead i ... [Read More]
- 9:49:34, Sep 29th 2014 - REDHORSE51 - PRETTY GOOD CHANCE THE ANIMALS ARE DEMOCRATS CROSSING THE ROAD TO SEE WH ... [Read More]
- 4:48:52, Sep 29th 2014 - open enrolled out - It is time for us to again listen to thoughts of passionate peopl ... [Read More]
- 9:28:02, Sep 29th 2014 - KingslandGrad95 - The person's identity will be made known at the meeting. The perso ... [Read More]
- 3:11:22, Sep 28th 2014 - - Who is this person ... [Read More]
- 6:14:51, Sep 20th 2014 - firstname.lastname@example.org - Since I grew up in Pilot Mound I have memories of REDS DOG PATCH ... [Read More]
- 2:10:21, Sep 19th 2014 - Barb Jeffers - The additional photos of the Dogpatch are now on the Fillmore County J ... [Read More]
- 1:41:34, Sep 19th 2014 - yorty - Parade is at 11 am ... [Read More]
- 1:00:41, Sep 19th 2014 - - Visited the facebook page of The Fillmore County Journal and was unable to find mo ... [Read More]
Fri, Oct 25th, 2002
Posted in Columnists
Posted in Columnists
Last month at Circle we had roll call and the question was "What job do you hate the most?" I believe almost everyone, including our Pastor, said it was washing windows. I remember years ago it was hard to get the men folks to help get the storm windows on upstairs as fall was so busy - husking corn, silo filling, shredding - that sometimes we never got them all on upstairs and when we got up in the morning we would find little tiny snow drifts that had blown through our windows - those were the Good 'O Days.
. . . . . Chuckle Bob received a free ticket to the Super Bowl from his company. Unfortunately, when Bob arrived at the stadium he realized the seat was in the last row in the corner of the stadium. He was closer to the Goodyear Blimp than the field and about halfway through the first quarter Bob noticed an empty seat 10 rows off the field right on the 50 yard line. He decided to take a chance, go around the security guards to the empty seat. As he sat down he asked the gentleman sitting next to him, "Is anyone sitting here?" The man said "No." Very excited to be in such a great seat for the game, Bob said to the man next to him, "This is incredible! Who in their right mind would have a seat like this at the Super Bowl and not use it?" The man replied, "Well, actually, the seat belongs to me. I was supposed to come with my wife, but she passed away. This is the first Super Bowl that the Packers have played in, that we haven't been together since we got married in 1966." "That's really sad," said Bob, "But still, couldn't you find someone to take the seat? A relative or a close friend?" "No," the man replied, "They're all at the funeral." . . . . . Life is like a ladder. Every step we take is either up or down. . . . . . Crayons We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and all are different colors - but they all exist very nicely in the same box. . . . . . Old Mister Jack 'O Lantern Old mister Jack 'O Lantern you can't frighten me. Cuz you're just a pumpkin as yellow as can be! I watched my daddy carve you, I helped him some, He took a knife and I a spoon - my, it was fun. And you're just a Jack O' Lantern that me'n daddy made! Happy Halloween! . . . . . How True Don't stay away from church or synagogue because- Because you are poor, (There is no admission) Because it rains, (You go to work in the rain) Because it's hot. (So is the golf course) Because it's cold (It's warm and friendly inside) Because you don't like the priest, minister, or rabbi (they're human, too) Because there are hypocrites (They're everywhere) Because you have company (Bring them along) Because you have plenty of other days in the future to attend (Are you sure?) Satan has many tools, but a lie is the handle that fits them all. P.S. Hope you all got to your church on Sunday, rain or shine. ~Until next week, Annabelle This Week's Recipe - Roadside Potatoes 1 (32 oz.) frozen hash browns; 3 cups evaporated skim milk; 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted; 1 tsp. salt; 1/4 tsp. pepper; 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Place potatoes in 9x13 in. pan. Mix milk, butter, salt and pepper. Pour over potatoes. Sprinkle top with the cheese. Bake 325º for about 1 hour.