"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Wednesday, June 19th, 2013
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 8:58:04, Jun 18th 2013 - cabraden1 - I salute you Colonel Overland. Your were my c.o. at Rockville Naval Air ... [Read More]
- 7:10:46, Jun 13th 2013 - chipperlee - Seems to be a well written article, except maybe Silica Sand is used in ... [Read More]
- 12:02:15, Jun 9th 2013 - getthefacts - The problem here lies in the fact that girls were repeatedly told "if y ... [Read More]
- 10:45:32, Jun 7th 2013 - Jo mom for 6yrs - Mr. Ehler hit the nail on the head. I agree with the religious con ... [Read More]
- 2:47:58, Jun 7th 2013 - hello - Hello, it's time you wake up. There isn't a community nearby that doesn't offe ... [Read More]
- 9:06:21, Jun 6th 2013 - hello - Hello, it's time you wake up. There isn't a community nearby that doesn't offe ... [Read More]
- 2:05:29, Jun 6th 2013 - Kim Wentworth - The number one rule in a debate: 1) if the person from the opposite si ... [Read More]
- 12:42:18, Jun 4th 2013 - EW - For someone that is always spouting religious rhetoric, you try to come off as a ... [Read More]
- 11:32:18, May 31st 2013 - JO PLAYER - This is unfair to us girls. Morrie Miller is not getting canceled but J ... [Read More]
- 8:25:34, May 29th 2013 - RP - Why is Mr. Ehler involving himself with non-school activities? Is he going after ... [Read More]
Do you think the use of all fireworks should be legal in the state of Minnesota for all consumers?
Fri, Oct 25th, 2002
Posted in Letter to the Editor
Posted in Letter to the Editor
I'd like to ask my opponent Greg Davids, "Greg, whose bus do you ride on--Houston and Fillmore Counties' or the Twin Cities' suburban bus?"
In 1999 I testified in St. Paul three times on property tax relief--for Rep. Michelle Riffenberg, for Sen. Kenric Scheevel, and for Rep. Greg Davids. I had confidence then in Mr. Davids delivering reform legislation to benefit our district. Alas, it was not to be. He later made comments opposing the property tax relief. The legislation would have taken school funding off ag land with the State of Minnesota picking up the difference. Did Greg shepherd it through the House? NO! In fact Rep. Bill Kuisle of Rochester did. now comes the 2001 tax bill, with education and roads still lacking, and our district still paying disproportionately high property taxes. Homeowners were slammed in southeastern Minnesota. While Eden Prairie enjoyed a 24.6% decrease in property taxes, cities like Eitzen were hit with a 16.6% increase. (Meanwhile, Minnesota was still the 4th highest taxed state in the U.S.) A provision in the 2001tax bill required the state to takeover transit funding using motor vehicle sales tax revenue instead of local property taxes. Only 4.3% of this tax relief ever made it to rural Minnesota. If the Twin Cities want better roads why don't they levy a 1/2% sales tax for their area for their own transit? Houston county spent 5000 of its own dollars to fund the SEMCAC bus which provides transportation between Houston county and the medical clinics in La Crosse - with no state help. Greg, don't you look out for our citizens' transportation needs like you do for those who live in the rich suburbs? I didn't miss the bus at all. I'm riding the Houston and Fillmore counties' bus, Greg, not a Twin Cities bus! Al Hein Candidate/House District 31B