"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Tuesday, September 2nd, 2014
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 10:35:47, Sep 2nd 2014 - wtf - Because I can! At least I don't sit and argue with people like you do mister no ... [Read More]
- 5:25:09, Aug 27th 2014 - hawkeyejay - Hank, I wouldn't bet your pension or SS check on ACA being cast in stone ... [Read More]
- 5:10:18, Aug 27th 2014 - hawkeyejay - Just like Yvonne to trot out the " Republican War On Women" routine. I g ... [Read More]
- 7:33:35, Aug 27th 2014 - KingslandGrad95 - wtf, why did you make that comment on a story regarding high school ... [Read More]
- 11:00:14, Aug 25th 2014 - wtf - Your article on Preston fastpitch wins big. The under 15 age takes 2nd.. There ... [Read More]
- 8:52:32, Aug 25th 2014 - Rae - I wish that you had included Stab from TJ's Liquor in your article. Stab has b ... [Read More]
- 10:32:36, Aug 22nd 2014 - Mad Mike - Doc, how do you get any truth or facts with the current set up that this ... [Read More]
- 9:31:25, Aug 22nd 2014 - KingslandGrad95 - doc, You mentioned that "Republicans want the truth, they just ... [Read More]
- 8:00:02, Aug 19th 2014 - doc - Republicans want the truth, they just don't like facts. ... [Read More]
- 7:58:04, Aug 19th 2014 - doc - Gas prices were $4.25 the last summer that GWB was in office. ... [Read More]
Which school facilities in our area do you feel demonstrate the highest level of security for students and faculty?
Fri, Nov 1st, 2002
Posted in Letter to the Editor
Posted in Letter to the Editor
We live in one of the most beautiful areas of Minnesota. It's important that our land and its resources be guarded and protected, just as we must take care to preserve the way of life that we enjoy here in Houston County. The economic vitality of any region depends on many things; fine education systems, solid businesses, honest, hardworking people, and also good leadership.
Kevin Kelleher is a strong, valuable leader in our county government. His 12 years as County Commissioner has given him experience on every level of government - local, state and national This allows him to effectively work with many agencies and political entities that directly affect Houston County. In a time when state support is declining, resulting in increased costs for counties throughout Minnesota, we need individuals like Kevin who understand the budgeting process on all levels and know how decisions are made - and by whom - that will affect all of us. A recent state audit shows that Houston County is well below the government cost per capita so it is being very efficiently run. Our county is the only one in southeastern Minnesota, and for most of the state, where the County Board itself goes over every departmental line item in the budget, no matter if it's $100 or thousands. With Kevin's leadership, and the hard work of the County Board, Houston county is debt free today, and its reserve fund represents about half of what is needed for yearly operation. Believing in inclusive government, Kevin encourages participation by local volunteers in many decision-making processes. These volunteers serve as valued members in the committees that are involved in the decisions. I've know Kevin to be a man of personal integrity who has served our county and its people well. We can trust him to do his best on our behalf, with courage and compassion. He has always has an "open door" policy and never is too busy to listen. He loves the land, is a farmer in his own right, and is truly, "one of us." Houston County is in good hands with Kevin Kelleher. P.D. Hempstead Houston, MN