"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Saturday, April 19th, 2014
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 4:25:14, Apr 18th 2014 - SignRancher - I can't wait to check it out ! My daughter, who lives in Rushford, can' ... [Read More]
- 10:55:36, Apr 3rd 2014 - Attendee - I do think the meeting went well in terms of sharing information. But also ... [Read More]
- 11:56:59, Apr 2nd 2014 - svtaxpayer - Start the meeting with the same old rehash about how great college class ... [Read More]
- 11:30:55, Mar 28th 2014 - RoryKramer - I couldn't have said it any better. My family has shopped at Willie's f ... [Read More]
- 8:44:51, Mar 26th 2014 - Gunnar Berg - Would that be Henrik's lessor known younger brother "Al"? ... [Read More]
- 1:21:46, Mar 23rd 2014 - REDHORSE51 - EXCELLENT COMMENTARY ON BULLYING, HOWEVER THE AUTHOR STILL SUPPORTS THE ... [Read More]
- 6:23:24, Mar 17th 2014 - about time - About time they start giving tickets to people who park where it days no ... [Read More]
- 5:51:04, Mar 17th 2014 - what? - I guess it depends who you are in this town. I called and talked to the city ... [Read More]
- 4:03:17, Mar 14th 2014 - - Looking for his mom and found this. Randy you will be greatly missed. I loved all ... [Read More]
- 10:21:04, Mar 14th 2014 - Doc - So many winners. ... [Read More]
Do you think that chain stores in small communities undermine the sales of locally owned retailers?
Fri, Nov 1st, 2002
Posted in Letter to the Editor
Posted in Letter to the Editor
We live in one of the most beautiful areas of Minnesota. It's important that our land and its resources be guarded and protected, just as we must take care to preserve the way of life that we enjoy here in Houston County. The economic vitality of any region depends on many things; fine education systems, solid businesses, honest, hardworking people, and also good leadership.
Kevin Kelleher is a strong, valuable leader in our county government. His 12 years as County Commissioner has given him experience on every level of government - local, state and national This allows him to effectively work with many agencies and political entities that directly affect Houston County. In a time when state support is declining, resulting in increased costs for counties throughout Minnesota, we need individuals like Kevin who understand the budgeting process on all levels and know how decisions are made - and by whom - that will affect all of us. A recent state audit shows that Houston County is well below the government cost per capita so it is being very efficiently run. Our county is the only one in southeastern Minnesota, and for most of the state, where the County Board itself goes over every departmental line item in the budget, no matter if it's $100 or thousands. With Kevin's leadership, and the hard work of the County Board, Houston county is debt free today, and its reserve fund represents about half of what is needed for yearly operation. Believing in inclusive government, Kevin encourages participation by local volunteers in many decision-making processes. These volunteers serve as valued members in the committees that are involved in the decisions. I've know Kevin to be a man of personal integrity who has served our county and its people well. We can trust him to do his best on our behalf, with courage and compassion. He has always has an "open door" policy and never is too busy to listen. He loves the land, is a farmer in his own right, and is truly, "one of us." Houston County is in good hands with Kevin Kelleher. P.D. Hempstead Houston, MN