"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Thursday, July 24th, 2014
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 3:01:39, Jul 22nd 2014 - Don K. - My medical premium will go up significantly next year under Obama care. Thi ... [Read More]
- 8:44:09, Jul 20th 2014 - @ new resident - Wykoff has a summer softball league for youths ages 5-18 and they ha ... [Read More]
- 11:28:08, Jul 18th 2014 - Go kaase! - Tom I hope you get elected as sheriff! Although you have worked in roche ... [Read More]
- 3:14:00, Jul 18th 2014 - SV citizen - I have concern that there would be a conflict of interest with Kaase bei ... [Read More]
- 1:22:00, Jul 18th 2014 - Bear - Obama care isnt the answer. Sure Mr. Grehl some people in Minnesota have medi ... [Read More]
- 9:13:08, Jul 18th 2014 - KingslandGrad95 - what?-even though smoking marijuana is illegal, unless the amount o ... [Read More]
- 6:52:38, Jul 17th 2014 - Kaase for Sheriff - First of all I think that both candidates have great ideas. But i ... [Read More]
- 4:13:24, Jul 16th 2014 - Two dogs - Why would Mr. Kaase want to take a pay cut of $30,000 dollar a year plus t ... [Read More]
- 9:57:55, Jul 16th 2014 - Kaase got my vote👍 - With this interview kaase got my vote! We need change in the ... [Read More]
- 6:54:19, Jul 16th 2014 - what? - The school on 1st ave pushes there snow onto the street. And NO ONE in harmon ... [Read More]
Fri, Nov 8th, 2002
Posted in Columnists
Posted in Columnists
Yes, we have had some cold weather for October and now into November, but I guess all of us older ones will never forget November 11, 1940, our terrible Armistice's Day storm. There is one thing in life that none of us, not one person can change and that is the weather. It was cold and some days wet, but hope most of the corn has been harvested. Years ago there wasn't any weather forecast like there is now days (they don't always get it right), but we can kind of go by what they say and get some things done outside before it snows. I think we will have a nice warm November. Here's hoping!
---- Chuckle The children had all been photographed and the teacher was trying to persuade them each to buy a copy of the group picture. "Just think how nice it will be to look at it when you are all grown up and say: "There's Anne, she's married, or that's Billy, he's a sailor." A small voice in the back of the room added: "And there's Teacher - she's dead." ---- My wife and I were traveling through and Ozarks and got into a big argument. We didn't speak for probably an hour. We passed by a pasture that had a mule in it and I said to her, "Is that some of your relation?" She said, "By marriage!" ---- It takes two kinds of people to make the world - poets to write about autumn's glories and the rest of us to rake them. ---- Stupidity won't kill you, but it can make you sweat. ---- One good thing about silence is that it can't be repeated. ---- I baked a cake and liked the taste when I consumed a slice, but when I shared some with a friend it tasted twice as nice. ---- Hint 1. To make good popcorn balls use the same recipe you do for Rice Krispies bars, they are so good. 2. If you are out of marshmallow creme, melt 32 large marshmallows in 1/3 cup of milk,. This equals 1 pint of marshmallow creme. ---- Someday There's a loving letter, I mean to send, there's a visit, I mean to pay there's a careless habit, I hope to mend, when I get time, someday. There's a dusty Bible, I mean to read, there's an hour, I'll keep to pray, and I'll turn each dream to a golden deed, when I get time, someday. So we've thought, and so we're said, yet, how sad to relate that busy with less important things we're waiting until, too late. We'll never find the time, dear friend, to be kind, along life's way, lest we thoughtfully and prayerfully make the most of every day. ---- Until next week, Annabelle Unusual Cranberry Salad 2 pkgs cherry gelatin 2 cups hot water 1 cup juices and water (drain fruit, add water to make 1 cup) 1/2 tsp strawberry flavoring 1/2 tsp pineapple flavoring 1 10 oz pkg frozen strawberries 1 13 1/2 oz can crushed pineapple 2 cans whole cranberry sauce12 large marshmallows Dissolve the gelatin in the hot water. Drain the thawed frozen strawberries and pineapple and add water to make 1 cup liquid and add to gelatin. Add flavorings, chill the gelatin until it starts to congeal, then add the berries, crushed pineapple, and cranberry sauce and diced marshmallows. Return to refrigerator until set.