"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Friday, July 3rd, 2015
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 5:36:12, Jul 1st 2015 - - And on the News they show the female pitcher hits the girl up at bat. Lol668 ... [Read More]
- 2:59:22, Jun 28th 2015 - livin' the dream - 1. Ordered all federal agencies to undertake a study and make reco ... [Read More]
- 9:36:21, Jun 27th 2015 - SV80 - To Jeez: Anybody who denies global warming or any other scientific propositio ... [Read More]
- 5:41:48, Jun 26th 2015 - Remark1976 - Maybe? Do you realize that when a building referendum for a new scho ... [Read More]
- 2:35:48, Jun 26th 2015 - Jeez - "Let's say that you receive a diagnosis from nine different oncologists (cance ... [Read More]
- 2:33:37, Jun 26th 2015 - Jeez - "Let's say that you receive a diagnosis from nine different oncologists (cance ... [Read More]
- 1:26:30, Jun 26th 2015 - Kim Wentworth - @ grehl- all you libs talk and talk about gun control and taking and ... [Read More]
- 12:37:22, Jun 26th 2015 - Kim Wentworth - @ SV80- 1) the whole idea of a set in stone time table is silly, acc ... [Read More]
- 10:30:23, Jun 26th 2015 - SV80 - Kim Wentworth: Let's take your points one by one. (1) "you set your foreig ... [Read More]
- 9:49:35, Jun 26th 2015 - SV80 - Well said, LOLZ ... [Read More]
Have you ever been injured while shooting off fireworks?
Fri, Feb 7th, 2003
Posted in Columnists
Posted in Columnists
The other day I was resting in my car awaiting the end of my lunch hour. As I sat there I was thinking about the things that flustered me that morning and how they carried on to a rather disheartening lunch. I wished I could have moved to Australia. While I pondered my thoughts I listened to the radio. After a while an interesting and amusing tune started to play. Feeling the pulsing beat, I began to tap my hands to it. The song helped to rouse my spirits when it suddenly knocked me out with a lyrical punch. The poetic words "Music is the Great Communicator" filtered through my brain giving them great meaning and a profound impact on the rest of my day.
It all just made so much sense to me. Music really is the great communicator of thoughts, feelings, memories, stories, visions, and experiences. Our minds and bodies can quickly change just by hearing one song. It has the capability to give your body goose bumps, make your spine tingle, and captivate your mind all in one breath. The song I heard really reminded me of all the possibilities a song can create for someone. Itís always great to know that just one song can take your troubles and fade them all away. You are able to form a connection with the song so that you donít feel so alone. Itís almost funny how a song can carry on with you throughout a day coming out through your personality. Not only is one song capable of jumpstarting someoneís day it can pass on a very important message or story. Items of historical importance can also be passed down through a song expressed with emotion. Sometimes it is nice to hear a song from years ago and reflect on the good old times. Bringing back good memories never hurts. A songwriter may also wish to pass on a message and it is easy to do through a song. Putting a catchy sound behind your words can really allow for more people to hear a message. Whether you want peace or job equality music can help people do it. Songs are also the best tone setters we have. When someone is ready to play a big game they often times get pumped up through a song. Movies are also a great example of this. And who throws a party with out good music? So the next time you donít feel quite ready to take on the world, just pop in one of your favorite songs and sing away. If thatís not possible, a small hum and the words in your head should suffice. Jacob Grant is a student at Fillmore Central High School. The Journal Writing Project focuses on the writing of area young people.