"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Friday, May 29th, 2015
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 9:06:07, May 28th 2015 - Livin' the dream - Funny how people that actually left Harmony still expect everythin ... [Read More]
- 7:57:41, May 28th 2015 - KingslandGrad95 - expat, The housing incentives that Harmony offers is nothing ne ... [Read More]
- 7:48:14, May 28th 2015 - KingslandGrad95 - Play Nice, just ignore Col. Gudmundson. He has an opinion about ... [Read More]
- 7:37:34, May 28th 2015 - SV80 - Mr. Wentworth: It is simply impossible to have a discussion with you since yo ... [Read More]
- 6:23:55, May 28th 2015 - Play nice - I grew up in a large family. We never owned a house, we always rented. ... [Read More]
- 3:29:21, May 28th 2015 - expat - Hey I grew up in Harmony and whenever I return, I am stunned at how run down ... [Read More]
- 2:25:20, May 28th 2015 - Kim Wentworth - @sv80- I had not had a chance to respond to your post but "shame on y ... [Read More]
- 12:13:43, May 28th 2015 - SV80 - Mr. Wentworth; Allow me to address each of your points one by one: 1. "c ... [Read More]
- 9:06:26, May 28th 2015 - Shame on you - To Kim Wentworth: Global warming is a farce. See what the Weather ... [Read More]
- 8:56:22, May 28th 2015 - Shame on you - TO SV80: Yes, you are right, law enforcement would force you off the ... [Read More]
Fri, Feb 7th, 2003
Posted in Columnists
Posted in Columnists
When I read and hear about hip and knee replacements I wonder what they do with all of the hips and knees that have been replaced. Can they be re-cycles or rebuilt? Over the years I have had my cars repaired with re-built alternators, clutches, engines and starters; couldnít the same be done with the human odds and ends that have been replaced by artificial parts?
Well, from what I understand, all of these hips and knees have been replaced because they have worn out from over use. If that is indeed the case, how about tongues? I certainly know of a few people that over use their tongues; why is it that tongues never seem to wear out? Another thing that I think about when I canít get to sleep are all of those political campaign promises that are made before elections. What sort of shape would the country be in if all of those campaign promises were kept? Why couldnít the incumbent simply state that he or she, enjoys his or her job, the pay is good and would we, his or her constituents, kindly keep him or her in office for another term. The opponent could state that the incumbent has had the job long enough and itís time for someone else to get a piece of the pie; and that should be the end of it. When Telemarketers call, why do thy say, ďHello Mr. Flaherty; how are you today?Ē Why just today, donít they care about how I was yesterday? Donít they realize that if I werenít feeling well it is quite likely that I wouldnít be answering the phone? How are you indeed; how am I as compared to what or when? Why donít we gather all of these Telemarketers and send them off to Iraq and see how long they stay in business. ďHello Mr. Hussein and how are you today?Ē Why do business people and advertisers tell me that if I comply with certain conditions, I am entitled to a free gift? Isnít a gift a gift? Why would anyone charge me for a gift? Why would I be dumb enough to accept a gift if I knew that I was going to be billed for it once I accepted it? Then there are those who tell me that if I listen to them or subscribe to a certain periodical I would be informed of the true facts of certain matters. Isnít a fact a fact, isnít a fact a truth? Are there such things as false facts? If there are such things as false facts, I think that they would be rather easy to come by if I listened to campaign speeches. I think that I would be better off if I just quit thinking about things once I get into bed and learned to live with my insomnia. As they say in medical circles, the best cure for insomnia is a good nightís sleep.