"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Sunday, April 20th, 2014
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 4:25:14, Apr 18th 2014 - SignRancher - I can't wait to check it out ! My daughter, who lives in Rushford, can' ... [Read More]
- 10:55:36, Apr 3rd 2014 - Attendee - I do think the meeting went well in terms of sharing information. But also ... [Read More]
- 11:56:59, Apr 2nd 2014 - svtaxpayer - Start the meeting with the same old rehash about how great college class ... [Read More]
- 11:30:55, Mar 28th 2014 - RoryKramer - I couldn't have said it any better. My family has shopped at Willie's f ... [Read More]
- 8:44:51, Mar 26th 2014 - Gunnar Berg - Would that be Henrik's lessor known younger brother "Al"? ... [Read More]
- 1:21:46, Mar 23rd 2014 - REDHORSE51 - EXCELLENT COMMENTARY ON BULLYING, HOWEVER THE AUTHOR STILL SUPPORTS THE ... [Read More]
- 6:23:24, Mar 17th 2014 - about time - About time they start giving tickets to people who park where it days no ... [Read More]
- 5:51:04, Mar 17th 2014 - what? - I guess it depends who you are in this town. I called and talked to the city ... [Read More]
- 4:03:17, Mar 14th 2014 - - Looking for his mom and found this. Randy you will be greatly missed. I loved all ... [Read More]
- 10:21:04, Mar 14th 2014 - Doc - So many winners. ... [Read More]
Do you think that chain stores in small communities undermine the sales of locally owned retailers?
Fri, Jun 6th, 2003
Posted in Obituaries
Posted in Obituaries
Lawrence E. "Larry" Berland, 90, of Preston, a retired farmer, died June 3, 2003 at Saint Marys Hospital in Rochester.
Larry was born Sept. 16, 1912, in Rushford, the son of Oscar and Anna (Isberg) Berland. He graduated from Preston High School in 1931 and then worked on the family farm. From 1942 to 1945, he served in the Army, saw duty in the Pacific theater, worked in the motor pool and achieved the rank of master sergeant. On Aug. 28, 1946, he married Lennie Shepherd in Chatfield. They farmed on his family farm in rural Lanesboro until moving to Preston in 1984. The farm became Berwood Hill Inn in 1998. Mr. Berland was a member of Christ Lutheran Church in Preston and held various offices. He was a member of the Preston American Legion and VFW, serving as a past commander and member of the rifle squad. He was a member of the Preston Lions Club and Garden Club, where he held several offices. Survivors include his wife; a daughter, Fran (Marco) Scibora of St. Paul; a son, Larry (Vicki) of Decorah, Iowa; four grandchildren; two great-grandsons; and a sister, Marie (Henry) Holman of rural Lanesboro. Four brothers and a sister preceded him in death. The funeral was held June 6 at Christ Lutheran Church in Preston, with the Revs. Jennifer Graf and James Rushton officiating. Burial was in Crown Hill Cemetery in Preston, with military graveside rites. Thauwald Funeral Home in Preston was in charge of arrangements.