"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Online Edition
Wednesday, December 7th, 2016
Volume ∞ Issue ∞

When should or shouldn't I file a claim?

Fri, Mar 25th, 2011
Posted in Ask the Expert

This is a question that gets asked frequently. It can depend on a number of factors. If this is a Property Coverage loss: 1. Is this going to exceed the deductible? If you know for sure it won't, then it is probably best to go ahead and have the repairs done and pay for it yourself. 2. If you are not sure, then file the claim promptly and hold off repairs until an adjuster can take a look at the damage. If you need to make a temporary repair to make sure no further damage occurs, then try and get pictures before repairs are made. If this is a Liability loss: 1. File the claim promptly. The other party has up to 6 years to file a claim against you and it is better to have a company adjuster look into the claim now instead of trying to remember all of the facts of the occurrence later on. The main thing to remember is if in doubt, contact your agent.

Dennis Overland

PO Box 665, Rushford, MN 55971-0665

Ph: 507-864-2757 • Fax: 507-864-7079

No Comments Yet. Be the first to comment!

Your comment submission is also an acknowledgement that this information may be reprinted in other formats such as the newspaper.