"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Thursday, August 21st, 2014
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 8:00:02, Aug 19th 2014 - doc - Republicans want the truth, they just don't like facts. ... [Read More]
- 7:58:04, Aug 19th 2014 - doc - Gas prices were $4.25 the last summer that GWB was in office. ... [Read More]
- 4:40:55, Aug 19th 2014 - dave - Gas prices were $1.79 a gallon when GWB left office ... [Read More]
- 9:08:48, Aug 19th 2014 - doc - What was the MN unemployment rate when GWB was in office? ... [Read More]
- 10:48:03, Aug 15th 2014 - Retired - A quick google search offers numerous ideas for community education. Knitt ... [Read More]
- 10:44:01, Aug 15th 2014 - tom - I believe that part of what made this country great was the ability to work to ... [Read More]
- 12:31:16, Aug 14th 2014 - Mad Mike - All you liberal's think a like. You read what you want to read and liste ... [Read More]
- 10:28:11, Aug 13th 2014 - Dale Eppen - Herb, I am so happy you like Obama Care. I also assume you like half a ... [Read More]
- 9:54:03, Aug 11th 2014 - rschalow - Sign the Petition: Tell North Dakota Leaders that the oil companies aren't ... [Read More]
- 1:25:19, Aug 11th 2014 - NCLoon - Would Mr. Gudmonson please share with us where he gathered all of the data r ... [Read More]
Fri, Jul 11th, 2003
Posted in Obituaries
Posted in Obituaries
Doane Willis Root, 80, of rural Spring Valley, a longtime area farmer, died July 2, 2003 at his home.
Born March 17, 1923, in Spring Valley Township, Fillmore County to Harry and Alma (TerMaat) Root. He attended country school through the eighth grade and Spring Valley High School. On Sept. 22, 1943, he married Bernice Lentz at the Evangelical Church parsonage in Spring Valley. He farmed in the Spring Valley all his life. Mr. Root was a member of Cherry Grove United Methodist Church, served as county commissioner from 1972 to 1980, and was a member of the Farmers Union and Conservation Club. He pitched fast-pitch softball for 26 years and enjoyed fishing, hunting deer and small game, growing rutabagas and riding his four-wheeler. Survivors include his wife; five sons, John (Marilyn) of Lewiston, Bob (MaryAnn) and Bryan (Michelle), both of Spring Valley; Steve (Cheryl) of Byron and Harry (Chris) of Preston; 13 grandchildren; 13 great-grandchildren; and a brother, Myron (Blanche) of Spring Valley. A sister and a granddaughter preceded him in death. The funeral was held July 5, 2003 at Cherry Grove United Methodist Church, with the Rev. Mark Rader officiating. Burial was in Forestville Cemetery. Hindt-Hutchins Funeral Home in Spring Valley was in charge of arrangements.