"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Wednesday, July 30th, 2014
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 3:23:50, Jul 30th 2014 - Bear - So Eagle, let me get this straight... To save money on medical insurance prem ... [Read More]
- 7:19:30, Jul 29th 2014 - KingslandGrad95 - Wow- so you're still going to do your shopping in Iowa to save 50-c ... [Read More]
- 4:02:43, Jul 29th 2014 - wow - Didn't read did you. I live on Iowa border doesn't take anymore had then going ... [Read More]
- 12:15:51, Jul 29th 2014 - kyle - or George Bush ... [Read More]
- 9:02:44, Jul 29th 2014 - notacookoo - WOW, this is the most unconnected rambling yet. It started out nice as ... [Read More]
- 9:21:56, Jul 28th 2014 - RFDvolunteer - Thank you Brett for a good article. I hope people will respond positiv ... [Read More]
- 7:50:52, Jul 28th 2014 - KingslandGrad95 - @wow-so you're willing to spend more on gas money to buy in Iowa wh ... [Read More]
- 11:01:18, Jul 27th 2014 - Eagle - Dear Mr. Bear, I thought to address a few of the issues you bring up. ... [Read More]
- 10:05:23, Jul 27th 2014 - - Exciting. .and welcome to SE Minnesota. Good Luck with your new venture. ... [Read More]
- 1:39:15, Jul 27th 2014 - yes - Spanish books would be GREAT! They don't have any books now at FC and if your c ... [Read More]
Fri, Jul 11th, 2003
Posted in Obituaries
Posted in Obituaries
Doane Willis Root, 80, of rural Spring Valley, a longtime area farmer, died July 2, 2003 at his home.
Born March 17, 1923, in Spring Valley Township, Fillmore County to Harry and Alma (TerMaat) Root. He attended country school through the eighth grade and Spring Valley High School. On Sept. 22, 1943, he married Bernice Lentz at the Evangelical Church parsonage in Spring Valley. He farmed in the Spring Valley all his life. Mr. Root was a member of Cherry Grove United Methodist Church, served as county commissioner from 1972 to 1980, and was a member of the Farmers Union and Conservation Club. He pitched fast-pitch softball for 26 years and enjoyed fishing, hunting deer and small game, growing rutabagas and riding his four-wheeler. Survivors include his wife; five sons, John (Marilyn) of Lewiston, Bob (MaryAnn) and Bryan (Michelle), both of Spring Valley; Steve (Cheryl) of Byron and Harry (Chris) of Preston; 13 grandchildren; 13 great-grandchildren; and a brother, Myron (Blanche) of Spring Valley. A sister and a granddaughter preceded him in death. The funeral was held July 5, 2003 at Cherry Grove United Methodist Church, with the Rev. Mark Rader officiating. Burial was in Forestville Cemetery. Hindt-Hutchins Funeral Home in Spring Valley was in charge of arrangements.