"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Tuesday, May 3rd, 2016
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 10:57:13, May 2nd 2016 - Happy! - The softball girls are soooo relieved! ... [Read More]
- 12:47:26, Apr 30th 2016 - LOLZ - Boy, I'm glad I don't live in SEMEN. ... [Read More]
- 6:37:45, Apr 29th 2016 - SEMN - Really you don't own that sign in! Grow up! I can't stop laughing! Last time I ... [Read More]
- 3:52:31, Apr 29th 2016 - Combat Veteran - @Paul- Where is your "you're a racist, warmongering, hateful, bigot" ... [Read More]
- 8:54:50, Apr 28th 2016 - LOLZ - Some dough head is using my name. I couldn't care less about the school, my ki ... [Read More]
- 2:10:13, Apr 28th 2016 - SEMN - What are you going to do about it SEMN? Last time I checked you didn't own the ... [Read More]
- 8:02:21, Apr 28th 2016 - SEMN - So who's the clown that is using my sign in, grow up. ... [Read More]
- 5:54:17, Apr 28th 2016 - Lala - Look the bully FC girl switched sports! ... [Read More]
- 5:53:10, Apr 28th 2016 - Semn - LOLZ, your the troll! ... [Read More]
- 10:18:05, Apr 27th 2016 - Paul - Not sure either party can say their system is perfect. Remember about throwin ... [Read More]
Fri, Jul 11th, 2003
Posted in Obituaries
Posted in Obituaries
Doane Willis Root, 80, of rural Spring Valley, a longtime area farmer, died July 2, 2003 at his home.
Born March 17, 1923, in Spring Valley Township, Fillmore County to Harry and Alma (TerMaat) Root. He attended country school through the eighth grade and Spring Valley High School. On Sept. 22, 1943, he married Bernice Lentz at the Evangelical Church parsonage in Spring Valley. He farmed in the Spring Valley all his life. Mr. Root was a member of Cherry Grove United Methodist Church, served as county commissioner from 1972 to 1980, and was a member of the Farmers Union and Conservation Club. He pitched fast-pitch softball for 26 years and enjoyed fishing, hunting deer and small game, growing rutabagas and riding his four-wheeler. Survivors include his wife; five sons, John (Marilyn) of Lewiston, Bob (MaryAnn) and Bryan (Michelle), both of Spring Valley; Steve (Cheryl) of Byron and Harry (Chris) of Preston; 13 grandchildren; 13 great-grandchildren; and a brother, Myron (Blanche) of Spring Valley. A sister and a granddaughter preceded him in death. The funeral was held July 5, 2003 at Cherry Grove United Methodist Church, with the Rev. Mark Rader officiating. Burial was in Forestville Cemetery. Hindt-Hutchins Funeral Home in Spring Valley was in charge of arrangements.