"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Thursday, October 8th, 2015
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 9:10:55, Oct 7th 2015 - @ Concerned - I have wondered about this too. Most of the Wykoff kids don't even go t ... [Read More]
- 2:53:37, Oct 6th 2015 - Concerned - Has the school board & administration ever checked into why so many studen ... [Read More]
- 9:58:41, Oct 6th 2015 - - Why don't you run for school board, SomethingNeedsToBeDone? Write-in candidates we ... [Read More]
- 2:05:39, Oct 5th 2015 - Paul - The Quaran does not tell Muslims to kill non-muslims. In fact it says Muslims a ... [Read More]
- 1:01:48, Oct 5th 2015 - GoldenRule - Let us be mindful of the Golden Rule and how we treat others. Be careful ... [Read More]
- 11:32:26, Oct 5th 2015 - SomethingNeedsToBeDone - Are people blind?? How can they continue to use a facility ... [Read More]
- 11:23:54, Oct 5th 2015 - James1952 - Pig poker- what did you crybaby vote yes losers do both times you lost th ... [Read More]
- 10:51:29, Oct 5th 2015 - Pig poker - We all know why Jon Peterson doesn't want the school, he's mad because he ... [Read More]
- 10:37:45, Oct 5th 2015 - - Mr. Cerling(and many others), Let me start by admitting that I am beneath you in ... [Read More]
- 7:33:17, Oct 4th 2015 - Redhorse51 - Talk about drinking the Liberal Kool-Aid, WOW! WOW! WOW! Obama not a Mus ... [Read More]
Fri, Jul 11th, 2003
Posted in Obituaries
Posted in Obituaries
Doane Willis Root, 80, of rural Spring Valley, a longtime area farmer, died July 2, 2003 at his home.
Born March 17, 1923, in Spring Valley Township, Fillmore County to Harry and Alma (TerMaat) Root. He attended country school through the eighth grade and Spring Valley High School. On Sept. 22, 1943, he married Bernice Lentz at the Evangelical Church parsonage in Spring Valley. He farmed in the Spring Valley all his life. Mr. Root was a member of Cherry Grove United Methodist Church, served as county commissioner from 1972 to 1980, and was a member of the Farmers Union and Conservation Club. He pitched fast-pitch softball for 26 years and enjoyed fishing, hunting deer and small game, growing rutabagas and riding his four-wheeler. Survivors include his wife; five sons, John (Marilyn) of Lewiston, Bob (MaryAnn) and Bryan (Michelle), both of Spring Valley; Steve (Cheryl) of Byron and Harry (Chris) of Preston; 13 grandchildren; 13 great-grandchildren; and a brother, Myron (Blanche) of Spring Valley. A sister and a granddaughter preceded him in death. The funeral was held July 5, 2003 at Cherry Grove United Methodist Church, with the Rev. Mark Rader officiating. Burial was in Forestville Cemetery. Hindt-Hutchins Funeral Home in Spring Valley was in charge of arrangements.