"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Friday, July 25th, 2014
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 3:01:39, Jul 22nd 2014 - Don K. - My medical premium will go up significantly next year under Obama care. Thi ... [Read More]
- 8:44:09, Jul 20th 2014 - @ new resident - Wykoff has a summer softball league for youths ages 5-18 and they ha ... [Read More]
- 11:28:08, Jul 18th 2014 - Go kaase! - Tom I hope you get elected as sheriff! Although you have worked in roche ... [Read More]
- 3:14:00, Jul 18th 2014 - SV citizen - I have concern that there would be a conflict of interest with Kaase bei ... [Read More]
- 1:22:00, Jul 18th 2014 - Bear - Obama care isnt the answer. Sure Mr. Grehl some people in Minnesota have medi ... [Read More]
- 9:13:08, Jul 18th 2014 - KingslandGrad95 - what?-even though smoking marijuana is illegal, unless the amount o ... [Read More]
- 6:52:38, Jul 17th 2014 - Kaase for Sheriff - First of all I think that both candidates have great ideas. But i ... [Read More]
- 4:13:24, Jul 16th 2014 - Two dogs - Why would Mr. Kaase want to take a pay cut of $30,000 dollar a year plus t ... [Read More]
- 9:57:55, Jul 16th 2014 - Kaase got my vote👍 - With this interview kaase got my vote! We need change in the ... [Read More]
- 6:54:19, Jul 16th 2014 - what? - The school on 1st ave pushes there snow onto the street. And NO ONE in harmon ... [Read More]
Fri, Jul 11th, 2003
Posted in Obituaries
Posted in Obituaries
Doane Willis Root, 80, of rural Spring Valley, a longtime area farmer, died July 2, 2003 at his home.
Born March 17, 1923, in Spring Valley Township, Fillmore County to Harry and Alma (TerMaat) Root. He attended country school through the eighth grade and Spring Valley High School. On Sept. 22, 1943, he married Bernice Lentz at the Evangelical Church parsonage in Spring Valley. He farmed in the Spring Valley all his life. Mr. Root was a member of Cherry Grove United Methodist Church, served as county commissioner from 1972 to 1980, and was a member of the Farmers Union and Conservation Club. He pitched fast-pitch softball for 26 years and enjoyed fishing, hunting deer and small game, growing rutabagas and riding his four-wheeler. Survivors include his wife; five sons, John (Marilyn) of Lewiston, Bob (MaryAnn) and Bryan (Michelle), both of Spring Valley; Steve (Cheryl) of Byron and Harry (Chris) of Preston; 13 grandchildren; 13 great-grandchildren; and a brother, Myron (Blanche) of Spring Valley. A sister and a granddaughter preceded him in death. The funeral was held July 5, 2003 at Cherry Grove United Methodist Church, with the Rev. Mark Rader officiating. Burial was in Forestville Cemetery. Hindt-Hutchins Funeral Home in Spring Valley was in charge of arrangements.