"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Sunday, March 29th, 2015
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 6:05:13, Mar 28th 2015 - Fillmore mom - I really enjoyed this article, too bad others used it as their persona ... [Read More]
- 12:29:12, Mar 28th 2015 - vikefan 1 - To Thanks! About blindly following Obama and his governing policies, yo ... [Read More]
- 5:23:52, Mar 27th 2015 - Jimbo79 - Sure, small towns have overlapping news. It seems odd that one should foll ... [Read More]
- 5:18:28, Mar 27th 2015 - FountainFarmer - johnqpublic, To expand on my previous post:,Let me ask you a que ... [Read More]
- 4:44:20, Mar 27th 2015 - Thanks! - I have read your articles for quite awhile now, always amazed that you seem ... [Read More]
- 4:26:44, Mar 27th 2015 - FountainFarmer - johnqpublic, So what if the Bluff Valley Reader had an article ... [Read More]
- 3:09:10, Mar 27th 2015 - johnqpublic - This looks familiar...where else have I read this? Just looks so famil ... [Read More]
- 10:51:48, Mar 27th 2015 - Vikefan 1 - Thanks, Mr. Van Gorp, for speaking out. I'm 100% with you. ... [Read More]
- 10:08:12, Mar 26th 2015 - saverton - Love your story Jim. . . . Good Job! ... [Read More]
- 12:35:40, Mar 26th 2015 - luver of all things left - Sorry pal, I'm kind of new to this. I'll use spellcheck f ... [Read More]
Fri, Aug 22nd, 2003
Posted in Obituaries
Posted in Obituaries
Lela Stevens, 92, of Fountain, a former cafe cook, died August 18, 2003 at Chosen Valley Care Center, where she had lived since Feb. 25, 1998.
Lela Bendickson was born July 16, 1911, in rural Harmony and lived in Fountain most of her life. She worked with her parents at the Fountain Hotel and cooked at several cafes. On Dec. 29, 1943, she married Lyman Stevens in Sioux Falls, S.D. He died May 4, 1974. Mrs. Stevens was a member of St. Lawrence O'Toole Catholic Church in Fountain; its Altar Society; Fountain American Legion Auxiliary; Fillmore County Historical Society; and the Fountain Senior Citizens and Study Club. She volunteered with RSVP. Survivors include three daughters, Judy (Richard) Kujath and Karen (Gary) Hahn, both of Fountain, and Nancy (Steve) Rowland of Chatfield; six grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren. She was preceded in death by a grandson, a great-grandson, four brothers and a sister. The funeral was August 21, 2003 at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Chatfield, with the Rev. Russell Scepaniak officiating. Burial was in Carrolton Cemetery in rural Fountain. Riley Funeral Home in Chatfield was in charge of arrangements.