"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Tuesday, December 1st, 2015
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 7:21:36, Nov 30th 2015 - Andy Wolter - Hey ol' neighbor! Apparently the FCJ doesn't archive your columns; I ca ... [Read More]
- 4:58:14, Nov 30th 2015 - doc - I ordered a California burger for take out. It was a really tasty burger and it ... [Read More]
- 9:41:05, Nov 27th 2015 - WoW - As a long time reader of your paper I think it should stay how it is. It's a ch ... [Read More]
- 1:35:05, Nov 26th 2015 - consaredumb - The most vocal people are always the most ignorant. ... [Read More]
- 2:58:00, Nov 25th 2015 - James1952 - The word on the street is that the folks who own the land above the schoo ... [Read More]
- 10:17:32, Nov 25th 2015 - - Yes it does take money to operate schools and keep buildings open. If the high s ... [Read More]
- 9:09:47, Nov 25th 2015 - @Says - Bottom line... it takes money to operate & keep open school buildings. Yes, I ... [Read More]
- 7:57:56, Nov 25th 2015 - nature man - I think y'all are in denial. Atrazine in all your well, shallow aquifer ... [Read More]
- 10:20:12, Nov 24th 2015 - - It's about the money? What an ignorant comment. Is that what you teach your kid ... [Read More]
- 9:20:20, Nov 24th 2015 - reader - What an inspiring message! Thank you! ... [Read More]
Mon, May 23rd, 2011
Posted in Education
Posted in Education
It's pretty crazy that graduation day is finally here. I remember thinking that kindergarten and eighth grade graduations were a big deal, but they no longer compare to graduating from high school. As a little girl I was always thinking of what I wanted to be when I grew up. Well, now I'm all grown up and must now decide what I'm going to do for the rest of my life. I've always known that I would have a career in the medical field: doctor, nurse, dentist, surgeon and so on. Well, I've now decided to major in Pharmacy.
When it came time to choose a college the decision was rather simple. I wanted to go somewhere new and try something different. I'm independent as it is, so distance didn't seem to bother me. I visited only one college, applied to only one college, and only wanted to attend one college. The college that I am going to attend this fall is South Dakota State University in Brookings, SD. Now some of you may think, "How can you decide on a college without exploring your other options?" My answer to that would be, "If you know me at all, you know that once I get my mind set on something, that's how it is going to be."
To get to Brookings it takes four hours and thirty-nine minutes from my house. I'm excited to be on my own and be even more independent. But, I will miss my family and will look forward to my trips back home. A majority of my friends are staying closer to home, but I was ready for something new. Luckily, though, I am going to the same school as my best friend, and I can't wait!
To get ready for college this summer, I plan to waitress and bartend at Bent Wrench Bar and Grill to earn some money before I head off to college. Also, during the day, I plan to run as an EMT for the Preston Ambulance Service.
I'm very enthusiastic about next year, and I'm ready to start something new. I would like to thank my family, friends, and community for getting me to this point, I would not be the person that I am today without your help. Dr. Seuss once said, "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." To me, this quote sums it all up, only you can be yourself. If someone else doesn't think it's okay, then I guess it's his or her own problem. So chase your dreams and set goals, but most importantly, be your own person.